Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't add artwork in iTunes 10

I uploaded a song that doesn't have artwork, and to my great dismay uploading artwork appears to be broken entirely in iTunes 10. Neither drag and drop nor going through the file browser seems to make the artwork stick. It uploads, but doesn't save. I would never have upgraded had I known.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 8:45 AM

11 replies

Sep 6, 2010 8:13 AM in response to Mike Me

Neither drag and drop

Where are you dragging to?
nor going through the file browser

Would you explain more? What file browser?
Make sure you have full Read/Write permissions to the iTunes folder and all contents.
Quit iTunes.
In the Finder, select /Music/iTunes/.
Right click - get info.
Scroll down to *Sharing & Permissions*. Make sure you can Read/Write then click the Gear icon and *Apply to enclosed items*.

Nov 1, 2011 12:09 PM in response to puzzlemuse

puzzlemuse wrote:

I am importing songs using Apple Lossless, they are m4a files. does that make a difference? please help!

What is the original source you are adding to iTunes?

The Import settings button will convert if you import from an audio CD.

If you add a file, it will import as the same file type, ie. if your original source is WAV and your File > Add to library and select the WAV file, it will still be WAV in iTunes.

Jan 4, 2012 4:17 PM in response to puzzlemuse

puzzlemuse wrote:

I am having the same problem.. i make my ownr ecordings of live music, burn them into itunes 10, and it won't let me add artwork. I am importing songs using Apple Lossless, they are m4a files. does that make a difference? please help!

The audio file format doesn't make a lick of difference. I've been having this problem as well. I import my own music into iTunes and then try to attach a JPG to the "Artwork" window and it NEVER stays. I have full read-write privileges on the iTunes hard drive, the audio files within, the JPG files...everything. I have converted the JPG to PNG and back to JPG (iTunes apparently only uses JPG format), no luck. Drag and drop doesn't work, copy and paste doesn't work, double clicking in the "Artwork" window and using the Finder to navigate to the JPGs doesn't work... NOTHING works! 😢 This should take less than a minute, but I've spent almost an hour reading through the forums finding that countless people have this problem. Does no one know how to solve this?

MacPro OS 10.7.2

iTunes 10.5.2 (11)

Jun 17, 2012 1:56 AM in response to Mike Me

I know. It's such a pain. My problem goes a step further towards the myserious: I have tried uploading a picture which I have already uploaded for another album - just a general picture of organ pipes. I have already used it for two albums in my itunes to denote that they are organ music, but yet it simply will not attach to this current album I wish it to. Very annoying

Mar 5, 2015 12:23 PM in response to levrad

I don't know why, but this works for movies (maybe for other types as well).

First you'll need the artwork you want to use on your desktop. Google Images works well: Just type in the movie you want, select the artwork you want from the selections and drag it to your desktop. In case you want to save it to a folder you might want to name the file.

Next you'll need a movie you don't much care about that also has no artwork. You can add a short YouTube file if you want.

Note both of these will need to be the same "media kind". Right click on both and choose "get info". Select the "options" tab and select "movie" for both (one at a time). The default is "home video" so change to "movie" if needed.

You will now have them in the same list (movies if you've done it correctly).

Now for the "I don't know why part". Select both movies and right click to "get info". Now select "artwork" and drag your art from the desktop into the box and say "OK". You'll now have the same artwork in both movies; - you can go back and delete it from the other one.

I don't know why but it will let you do it for two (or more) movies but won't for just one.

Hope this helps.

I can't add artwork in iTunes 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.