Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Closing an iTunes/AppleID account - not changing it, just closing it

I have two AppleID accounts I use with iTunes. I want one only, and have only used one for several years. I'd like to close the other account. I don't want to change it. I don't want to merge it. I just want to freaking closing it. SHOULD be simple enough. But for the company who pioneered ease-of-use technology, I don't think they've quite extended that philosophy to something as darn simple as a user ID.

The account I wish to close has a purchase history consisting of nothing more than two paid singles/songs and five free iPhone Apps. I don't care about any of that stuff, and if I ever wanted it again, I'd simply repay for it on the new account.

I'm guessing Apple's over-complication of AppleID accounts will prohibit this, but is there any way to simply close an AppleID account? No changes, no merging, no nothing -- just closing the account and voiding whatever authorizations it was entitled to.

Dan

MacBook Pro Dual Core (Mid-2009), Mac OS X (10.6.2), 2.53 Ghz, 4 GB, Snow Leopard & Vista Home Premium; iPhone 3G 16GB

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 9:23 AM

6 replies

Oct 30, 2010 7:54 PM in response to dantrimble

Guessing no body does as there were no further replies.

FYI for any others looking for this answer, I don't believe it's possible. But what I was able to do was to create a fake Gmail free account that I'll never use, and change the Apple ID to that new Gmail account. Doesn't really close the account, which bothers me, but it freed up the email address from my old Apple ID that I wanted associated with my newer one.

Closing an iTunes/AppleID account - not changing it, just closing it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.