Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

doing Backup taking ages

Can somebody tell me why the "Creating/Making Backup" is taking sooooo long?
Have an Ipad 64Gb and only have 20 Gb in use.
it's doing a backup now for 3 hours, and not even halfway.
I do have a 9 Gb file on there that is from a Comicreader. so I guess that why it takes longer, but over 3 hours is just insane.

I know I can turn the backup thing off (with 3rd party tool)
but I'm afraid once i am doing a firmware upgrade, that I am loosing my files one it.

Ipad 64Gb Win7 64bits, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 4, 2010 6:08 PM

11 replies

Dec 9, 2010 3:19 PM in response to pka4916

I to was having major trouble trying to get ipad to backup it was going on for hours with no end in sight. What i did was delete most of my ipad magazine apps eg T3, flip, zingo ect then rebooted the ipad then deleted the ipad backup file found in itunes ≥preferences ≥ devices then synced and backed up as normal it worked for me hope it helps

Dec 18, 2010 4:55 PM in response to cadams05

I too have this problem. In the past, I have clicked past the backup part of the syncing process, and it seemed okay to do that. However, now I want to upgrade to 4.2, and tried using BackOff, but no go. It seems I HAVE to do the backup. I do not have high-speed internet access available at home (live in a rural area with large population of Amish/Mennonites). My question is that now that I have spent hours making sure my iMac is updated and downloading the 4.2 upgrade, can I shut it down, take the computer and iPad home, and run the backup all night if necessary, and will the 4.2 upgrade then install without my being online to finish the process? Or is there another solution to this?

Dec 19, 2010 9:37 AM in response to pka4916

I've also been having the same problem. It just began within the last day or so, and before that it was working fine even with my various PDF readers (eg, GoodReader, PDF Expert) and magazine apps (Project, Zinio) installed. I have loaded a couple of sizable apps in the last day or so (eg, omnigraffle) but i've loaded larger apps before without affecting sync/backup times so drastically. Very puzzling.

Has anyone actually spoken to AppleCare about this?

I'm a backup junkie because of problems I've encountered in past mishaps, and not being able to backup gives me a case of figurative neurotic hives!

Dec 20, 2010 1:24 PM in response to Lindawye

An update: I took my iMac home and tried to do the update/backup without being online. However, I was not able to do it. I finally used my cell phone and its bluetooth capability to connect to the internet. The actual backup part of the process took less than 2 hours, and then I was able to update the OS for the iPad. I probably took about 3.5 hours in all to get it done. I have heard that in the future the backup will take much less time, but I do not know as yet.

doing Backup taking ages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.