Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine for files/prefs backup before fresh OS install?

Ive never used time machine & was wondering if it was worth while using for backing up all my files/prefs before doing a fresh install of 10.6?
Currently i use ibackup to backup files etc, or super duper to clone my drive completely. since i dont want to clone it ill just backup my files & prefs.
Is time machine good for this? or should i stick to something like ibackup?

cheers

24" 2.8 iMac, 2.53 15" MBP, BlackBook 2.16, G4 12" Powerbook., Mac OS X (10.5.7), 4GB/1TB HD+640GB FW800+320/200external, 4GB/500G HD,2GB/250G HD,1.25GB/120GB HD.

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 8:40 AM

1 reply

Sep 5, 2010 9:25 AM in response to DJstylus

Why don't you just use iBackup or SuperDuper to do incremental backups? It isn't necessary to do a full backup or clone every time you backup. There's no need to use Time Machine and another backup utility if what you are now using fits your needs. TM does not create bootable backups or clones. It is an archival file backup system that is designed to perform hourly incremental backups without any user interaction and in the background. But you can do pretty much the same thing with any good backup utility, just not using the same methodology as Time Machine.

It would nevertheless be a good idea to perform your backup before installing OS X.

Time Machine for files/prefs backup before fresh OS install?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.