Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a long Table title in Numbers '09

Any help?

iOS 4

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 12:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2011 9:06 AM

User uploaded file

Just insert your title in a cell in the middle of the table's width like what I did.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) dimanche 5 septembre 2010 21:31:22
8 replies

Jan 6, 2011 9:06 AM in response to KOENIG Yvan

KOENIG Yvan wrote:
Just insert your title in a cell in the middle of the table's width like what I did.

And make sure:
• the rest of the cells in the row are empty
• alignment for the cell is set to Center (default for cells in the header row of the Blank Template)
• Wrap is NOT checked for that cell.

Regards,
Barry

Jan 6, 2011 9:07 AM in response to Francesco Rocca

Francesco Rocca wrote:
Hi,

I would suggest using the Merge cell command found under the Table menu. Select the cells you want to merge then merge them into a single cell.

The merge feature is an efficient tool … to disable a lot of features of tables.

You may find details in existing threads.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) lundi 6 septembre 2010 09:47:25

Jan 6, 2011 9:07 AM in response to Francesco Rocca

Francesco Rocca wrote:
I would suggest using the Merge cell command found under the Table menu. Select the cells you want to merge then merge them into a single cell.

Use of merge is NOT recommended in the current implementation (Numbers '09). The next version may fix the issues causing that recommendation.

Regards,
Barry

Jan 6, 2011 9:07 AM in response to hawkeypop

Is the problem that you do not want this title to also be the name of the table? If you are fine with it also being the name of the table (which is displayed in the sidebar and used in formulas), go to the Inspector, Table tab, type the name into the box and check the "Name" checkbox. Another option is to put a text box above the table and type in the long title you want.

Jan 6, 2011 9:08 AM in response to hawkeypop

Hi,
Merging cells in both Numbers and Excel can cause a number of problems depending on the user's intent. In the previous version of Numbers I would agree that Merging cells was not recommended as various others have commented in previous posting.

However, in the latest version of Numbers and in my testing I can merge and unmerge the cells by clicking merge button (do not use the split cell command as this will create a split merged cell) in the Inspector. When I unmerge the cells they return to their original state. Any text in the merge cells will be located in the first cell when the cells are unmerged.

Generally, I use merged cells for text only, in both Excel and Numbers. If you merge 3 cells that contain numbers, for example 1, 2, 3 you will have a cell that contains 1, 2, and 3. When you unmerge the cells the first cell will contain the numbers 1, 2, 3 the other two cells will be blank. Also, a merged number cell can impact any formula that is using the columns.

You can sort the column using the column's sort command, if the merge cells are on the same row. When you do the merged cell, excluding the header, will sort as well. You can use the Reorganize to sort individuals rows so that the merged cell is not included in the sort. Also, you can hide rows, apply filters and you can use the column's categorization command as well.

If the merged cell spans multiple rows, then the sort, hide, filters and categorization commands will be disabled. This makes logical sense since it will not be able to do operations on the rows in the other columns.

Generally, I use merge cells for text only. You need to be aware that merge cells can impact sorting, filtering, categorizations and formulas and to limit their use in your spreadsheet to minimize any negative impacts.

Hope this helps.

Using a long Table title in Numbers '09

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.