Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing Network Name

I'm just getting started with Airport Extreme. I have 3 questions:
1) The base station does not have an on/off switch. It's OK to leave it on all the time?
2) My set up yielded two networks, my network and one guest network. Do I really need a guest network, if it is just me and my wife using the network? How do I eliminate the guest network?
3)I created these two networks using my real name, not realizing that they would show up as such when people scan for wi-fi access in my vicinity. How do I change my network name without messing up my set up?

thanks

mp

Posted on Sep 5, 2010 9:41 PM

3 replies

Sep 5, 2010 10:33 PM in response to Marco_Polo

1) The base station does not have an on/off switch. It's OK to leave it on all the time?

Yes, it was designed to operate 24 x 7.

2) My set up yielded two networks, my network and one guest network. Do I really need a guest network, if it is just me and my wife using the network? How do I eliminate the guest network?

No, the guest network would be totally optional. You decision to use it should be dependent on your networking requirements. You can safely disable it without any affect. To disable it, you would need to use the AirPort Utility. (ref: AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort Extreme > Manual Setup > AirPort > Guest Network > Enable guest network (not checked))

3)I created these two networks using my real name, not realizing that they would show up as such when people scan for wi-fi access in my vicinity. How do I change my network name without messing up my set up?

Again, you would use the AirPort Utility to do this. (ref: AirPort Utility > Select the AirPort Extreme > Manual Setup > AirPort > Wireless > Wireless Network Name)

Changing Network Name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.