Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

menu Bar and dock problems - MenuBar won't highlight and Dock freezes

Just started having this problem - but had it with Leopard and not sure what I did to fix it. Suddenly the Magnified Dock is freezing - won't slide along with the mouse pointer. Also the menu bar won't highlight the choices of a drop-down menu...

I've tried restarting many times - no change. I believe I have to trash a preference file - but not sure which one! This is almost like when I had the Logitech software installed - but that's gone and trashed - so that cannot be the cause.

Sometimes the curser remains a separation line instead of moving to a pointer or the hand - there are several things related here I believe.

Thanks for any help - or if you need more info, let me know. This is really annoying and I'd like to restore this soon!

Steve

MacBook Pro-13" (2010) PBG4-12" (2005) eMac (2005) G4733 (2001), Mac OS X (10.6.4), MacOnly since 1989 (Still run my Mac SE on 6.0.4)

Posted on Sep 6, 2010 11:32 AM

21 replies

Sep 6, 2010 10:05 PM in response to Stephen Schulte2

This is really a perplexing problem! The other day after I posted it went back to normal; then 10 minutes later the frozen Dock (i.e. it won't slide the dock items when I mouse over) and no highlights on the menu bar items.

ANY HELP REALLY APPRECIATED HERE! I believe there is a preferences or .plist file that I can junk and then restart etc. - but not sure which one! Or if another solution- thanks!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Tuesday 7 September 2010

Sep 6, 2010 10:25 PM in response to Stephen Schulte2

Move the com.apple.dock.plist and com.apple.dock.db files to the Desktop, log out and back in, reset the Dock preferences using the prefPane. If that fixes your issues, delete the moved files and repopulate your Dock with the desired apps and folders. For the menu bar issue, move the com.apple.systemuiserver.plist file and repeat the steps.

Sep 7, 2010 10:05 AM in response to baltwo

I will certainly try what you have suggested - but this is really strange: I've not yet done what you said, but today when I unplugged my external monitor, later the MacBook Pro-13" (May 2010) went back to "normal" - everything worked fine.

Now I just plugged-in the external monitor and- BAD- the dock magnifies in one spot and freezes; and the menu-items don't highlight blue. Plus the mouse pointer is late in changing from a pointer to a hand or insert indicator.

I tried unplugging the monitor, but now the MacBook Pro without the monitor is "broken" as well- i.e. it doesn't come back to normal (but if I leave it an hour or so - I'm guessing it will!)

So this seems to be some type of bug somewhere. Any additional feedback here welcome - especially if anyone else has had this issue.

More soon,

Steve
Tuesday 7 September 2010 19:05

Sep 7, 2010 10:45 AM in response to baltwo

OK well here's some more info: It seems to have been related to my Logitech Mouse: My main Logitech cordless mouse MX1000 (31 Jan 2005) does NOT use the Logitech Control Center as that is really bad. But I had to unplug and replug-in my Logitech Mouse because everytime I touched it the dock froze and the menu bar went flukey.

For the past 30 minutes all seems OK - I'll test again and repost before calling this SOLVED.

Thanks VERY much for you help - I have printed-out your solution for possible future use!!

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Tuesday 7 September 2010

Sep 9, 2010 4:09 PM in response to Stephen Schulte2

SS2 - i have the same problem. im running OS X 10.6.5 on a mac Mini with an external LCD display. My dock does not respond to presence of the cursor - i.e., won't come out of hiding, no magnification and the cursor is no longer capable of highlighting options in the drop down menus when you 'hover' over them. everything works on hard-clicks. sounds similar to your issues. it was working perfectly until 30 minutes ago and all of sudden this problem just popped up out of nowhere. i too have a logitech cordless mouse, but i didnt have these problems 30 minutes ago...and i have had the same mouse.
how did you solve it? thanks in advance
n

Sep 11, 2010 6:06 AM in response to Nihar Shah

I'm having a similar, although identical problem using a Macbook Pro running 10.6.4. I have the Dock hidden and suddenly over the last couple of days it has started freezing, Finder stops responding and won't relaunch, and cmd-tab won't show running apps (I assuming cmd-tab is part of Finder?).

Chrome in particular also seems to be freezing up. The only big update I can think of recently is the new iTunes, but otherwise I can't think of anything significant. I'm also having problems on my iMac, which suggests it may be to do with some recent system/software update. Hopefully somebody finds a resolution. I'll post anything further if I have any success.

Sep 12, 2010 12:30 AM in response to Nihar Shah

Sorry to be so long in replying - real busy at work this week! Not complaining, glad to have a good job!

OK well the only thing I did was to completely unplug everything connected to the Logitech mouse (Power, USB) and then plug all this all back into the Mac. In the past 4 days or so no further problem.

I believe Snow Leopard 10.6.5 has not yet been issued, so assume you are on 10.6.4?

Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Sunday 12 September 2010

Sep 12, 2010 12:31 AM in response to Mark_B_UK

I have not installed iTunes 10 yet - but the only thing I did was to completely unplug everything connected to the Logitech mouse (Power, USB) and then plug all this all back into the Mac. In the past 4 days or so no further problem.

Let me know if you can get your Mac back to normal.

Best regards,

Steve Schulte
Sunday 12 September 2010

Sep 12, 2010 9:35 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

Things are definitely still not right.

The most disturbing thing is Finder not responding ("The application Finder.app can't be opened." with code -10810), and not relaunching when killed from either Force Quite or the Activity Monitor. Also Aperture would simply fail to start (just startup then freeze with 'not responding') and after a couple of freezes it did start up ok.

I did a bunch of 'housekeeping' uninstalls including Adium, which I'd recently installed, and Chrome (as well as a bunch of random apps that I don't use) and it seemed to have only improved stability - it's still screwing up pretty randomly.

I reinstalled Chrome and still seems to be ok (Aperture still starting ok), although I can't really say I trust it as Aperture did fail a couple of times before it started ok (I didn't keep a strict log of exactly what sequence of uninstalls/reinstalls/reboots I carried out), and also iTunes froze as well, although that too has now started ok - I don't use it regularly so I haven't started it since then.

Basically now that everything's running I haven't done much else to experiment.

Doh! Stupidly I've just started iTunes again "just to see" and it's frozen, along with Finder. (*£&$ing ****!!!!!! (This is on the iMac - everything else is still running, and if you're reading this then I was still able to post it from Chrome.)

Something is definitely wrong with my system(s). I guess I'll leave it a week or so and see if an update comes out before I take the Macbook Pro to a Genius bar somewhere for a rant.

Sep 21, 2010 10:42 PM in response to al7areth

+*Snow Leopard*+
iMac7,1
+*Intel Core 2 Duo*+
+*2.8 GHz*+
+*24 inch screen*+

I have had this annoying problem for about a week now.
I've tried every solution, from zapping the P-RAM, to completely reinstalling Snow Leopard, and re-updating to 10.6.4. I've tried to resolve permissions, repair disk, unplug everything, etc. etc. and nothing helps. I thought "Maybe it's my tablet software!" I tried un-installed , tried a regular mac mouse, and instigating it again and the problem still arose. This has occurred in any application possible.

+How it happens:+ When I type, or even select sometimes, a value box. For instance [ %100 ] I select the box, change it to [ %200 ]. It doesn't seem to affect Text Boxes (like this one). it affects Web Browsers and FTP managers, Digital design apps, or Games.

+The result:+ The desktop freezes; or does it? The keyboard works. The cursor works. However, the desktop doesn't react to the cursor. I can change windows, using the keyboard, and the dock WILL notice the cursors presence, if I repeatedly switch the audio/brightness mods. This doesn't change the fact I can't click. I've tried waiting -- HOURS -- for it to stop, and it's not a temporary problem. I have no Logitech software, or mice around.

Conclusion: It's a HUGE waste of time, having to hard restart every time this happens.

I'd like to find some sort of Help for this problem; This... error.

Message was edited by: KingRedcastle

Message was edited by: KingRedcastle

Sep 27, 2010 10:57 AM in response to Stephen Schulte2

I reinstalled OS 10.6 on my 27" iMac and developed this problem:

• the curser is a text cursor when it should be the default or a hand
• menu items don't highlight on mouse over
• the dock won't respond to mouse over
• finder will close down on relaunch but doesn't always restart

So far the only solution I've found is to restart the machine–after about 10 minutes the issues resume.

menu Bar and dock problems - MenuBar won't highlight and Dock freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.