Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to transfer a TV show episode rented in iTunes 10 to Apple TV 1st Gen?

I've rented an HD pilot episode of "Lie To Me" show on my PowerBook in iTunes 10. Unfortunately, the video is very choppy (it's only a 1.5 GHz G4) and I'd like to transfer the episode to my Apple TV.

I've read about how to do it, went into the device Apple TV menu in iTunes 10, but I do not see the rented episode anywhere under any tab. Drag'n'drop obviously doesn't work either. Is it even possible to transfer a rented show from iTunes to ATV? I've done it with rented movies in the past, but never with TV shows.

I had to rent, because this show is not available for rent on ATV, only for purchase. Which I'm not interested in.

PowerBook 17" G4 1.5 GHz, 1.5 GB, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Airport, Soundsticks, 2TB FW800 RAID

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 12:07 PM

Sorry, but the old (1st generation) Apple TV cannot accept rented TV Shows, either by direct purchase nor by moving an episode from a computer. Rental of TV Shows is only going to be supported on the new-model Apple TV, apparently.

Regards.
2 replies

Dec 6, 2010 4:18 AM in response to varjak paw

What is even more disappointing is the lack of information regarding this topic on the apple.com support pages. Nowhere does it EXPLICITLY tell us that 1st generation Apple TVs cannot show rented TV programs. One place where this could be signaled is on this troubleshooting sheet - http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1359
Otherwise one could spend 3 days trying to trouble shoot this issue and resetting their Apple TV !st gen over and over without success. The only place that comes close to explaining is on the TV program download page but it only states that the product affected it Apple TV 2nd generation without having the courtesy of telling us that the 1st gen cannot play such content.

Please, please, please make it clear to the many 1st gen Apple TV owners that they cannot view rented TV programs. This will save us time and the more time we are not resetting our Apple TVs the more time we will be purchasing content on iTunes. Less frustrating for us, more money for you !!!!!

How to transfer a TV show episode rented in iTunes 10 to Apple TV 1st Gen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.