Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ClarisWorks 2 to AppleWorks 6 in OS-X 10.5?

OK, it looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my 17" iMac to 10.5.x. My question is this:

I have some very important database documents which I still use and edit regularly and which I created way back in ClarisWorks 2. My AppleWorks 6.2.9 works fine with these documents under my current OS 10.3.9 (though it insists on adding the .cwk suffix to the filename).

I gather that if I upgrade to OS-X 10.5 that AppleWorks will still work OK using Rosetta. BUT ... will it be able to cope with a database document originlly created in ClarisWorks 2? I've obviously re-saved these databases as AppleWorks documents, but the .cwk thing along with various confusing web reports are making me nervous.

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

Message was edited by: legolas-woodelf

17' iMac 1.25Ghz, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 3:23 PM

A database saved as an AppleWorks 6 document will run fine in AW6 under Leopard or Snow Leopard (though a Clarisworks 2 file won't). It's advisable to add the .cwk extension in Snow Leopard (possibly also in Leopard) as although AW itself will open them perfectly well without, double-clicking in the Finder will try to open them as 'Unix executable files' - adding the .cwk allows you to open them in AW from the Finder.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 7, 2010 3:23 PM in response to legolas-woodelf

A database saved as an AppleWorks 6 document will run fine in AW6 under Leopard or Snow Leopard (though a Clarisworks 2 file won't). It's advisable to add the .cwk extension in Snow Leopard (possibly also in Leopard) as although AW itself will open them perfectly well without, double-clicking in the Finder will try to open them as 'Unix executable files' - adding the .cwk allows you to open them in AW from the Finder.

Sep 8, 2010 2:07 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Many thanks Roger.

And forgive my ignorance, but what about things like iLife?

I have the following versions:

iMovie 4.0.1
iTunes 7.0.2
iPhoto 4.0.3

Will these versions all work with 10.5.x or will I need to start re-buying those too?

Sorry if I seem paranoid - cash is particularly tight just now and I don't want to get sucked into a costly upgrade spiral.

ClarisWorks 2 to AppleWorks 6 in OS-X 10.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.