Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On new iOS updates

I'm running on iOS 4.0.1 and downloaded the 4.0.2 in iTunes (but NOT installed in my iPhone yet, its just downloaded). So everytime I click the "Update" button, it tells me if I want to install the 4.0.2 update that has been downloaded days ago. I decided not to install it since iOS 4.1 is coming.

My question is, when iOS 4.1 becomes available from the Apple server and I click "Update", will iTunes detect the new 4.1 and overwrite 4.0.2 stored in my iTunes? Or do I need to install 4.0.2 in my iPhone first to give way for iTunes to detect 4.1 for download?

Thanks in advance!

HP SlimLine, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 7:04 PM

It will overwrite old version and use
Latest everytime you update
2 replies

Sep 8, 2010 5:35 AM in response to Marky Angelo

You can delete the unused update from your computer. The next time that iTunes notifies you that there is an update available, you don't have to accept it.

Depending on your computer system it is stored

Mac: ~/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates

Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

Windows Vista/7: \Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

The update will be named iPhone2,1 4.0.2_8A400Restore.ipsw or similar

On new iOS updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.