Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi Password - "Join" button goes inactive

I have the 64GB Ipad WiFi + 3G.

When I try to log into a wireless network, it prompts me to enter the password and the "join" button is illuminated on the screenkeyboard. Once I enter the password, the "join" button goes inactive (turns from black to gray) so I can't Enter the password. This happens in my house and in WiFi Hotspots.

I keep having to use my data plan to access the web.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

HP, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 11:47 AM

7 replies

Sep 8, 2010 3:09 PM in response to Cattiebrie

Cattiebrie wrote:
I have the 64GB Ipad WiFi + 3G.

When I try to log into a wireless network, it prompts me to enter the password and the "join" button is illuminated on the screenkeyboard. Once I enter the password, the "join" button goes inactive (turns from black to gray) so I can't Enter the password. This happens in my house and in WiFi Hotspots.

I keep having to use my data plan to access the web.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

The join button shouldn't prevent you from entering the password. Certain types of encryption used on a wireless network (such as WPA2) require a minimum password length. Once you fully type the password then the button should become active again. Is this what you are seeing?

Jun 2, 2011 4:42 PM in response to Cattiebrie

I am having the same problem. I noticed that I am typing a 7 digit password & the join button stays grey/inactive. If I type an 8th digit in the password the join button becomes active. Unfortunately the wifi I'm trying to connect to only has a 7 digit password. I only have this problem on my cousins IPad with 3G. I can login fine with my iPad with wifi only.

Dec 2, 2011 1:21 AM in response to Cattiebrie

It is true that if the router key is less that 7 digits/letters the "Join" button is inactive. I had the same problem but reading this post, I have tried different solutions and I think that I have found one.

-Type your 7 digit password and add 1 more letter at the end (whatever letter u want).

-The "Join" button should be active now.

-Delete the last letter and you will see that the "Join" button is still active

-Click "Join" and you are ready

I hope this works to others too.

Have a nice day from Greece!

😉

WiFi Password - "Join" button goes inactive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.