Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bookmark Bar, Bookmark Menu etc.,etc.

Can someone help me sort out and untangle this confusing Bookmarks problem?

When I click on Bookmarks in the Safari menu bar to bookmark a page, it doesn't necessarily go in that list but somewhere else. I can usually find the page in one of many folders when I open "Show all Bookmarks". There, I run into "Collections" and "Bookmarks" and find multiple Bookmark Bar and Bookmark Menu folders. I don't need all those, I just want one list of bookmarks.

Can you explain the difference between "Collections" and "Bookmarks", and the difference between "Bookmarks Bar" and Bookmarks Menu" and please tell me how to permanently get rid of all the duplicates. I have deleted the duplicates before but they keep coming back.

Technical: iMac Desktop with intel, MacBook and iPhone; latest Snow Leopard; Mobile Me syncing.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
JRsiMac

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 7:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 9:59 PM

HI,

It may be easier to check out these links for help with Bookmarks.

Mastering Safari, learning now to manage and tame your bookmarks

And How to Manage Safari Bookmarks

Carolyn 🙂
6 replies

Sep 12, 2010 1:03 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Those links were worth reading but did not offer a specific solution to my problem.
After trying many things what finally seemed to work was this:
1) I assumed that deleted info was being reloaded to my Mac from MobileMe.
2) I changed Sync from "automatically" to "manual".
3) I painstakedly merged the info in the many Bookmarks Bars and Bookmarks Menus into the Bookmarks Menu under Collections {the one with the "page" icon), then deleted all duplicates, and then deleted all the duplicate folders both under Collections and Bookmarks.
4) Finally I synced manually choosing "replace info in MobileMe with info on this computer" so that MobileMe only kept a record of the new Bookmarks info on my computer, rather than the other way around.

Now there are only four headings under Collections and three under Bookmarks with all duplicate folders and lists gone. Things seem to be staying that way.

Sep 12, 2010 4:22 AM in response to JRsiMac

HI,

g but did not offer a specific solution to my problem.

Rarely is there a "specific solution" for troubleshooting Safari Bookmarks. Most folk have their Bookmarks set up to suit their needs, all we can do is offer guidelines.

Now there are only four headings under Collections and three under Bookmarks with all duplicate folders and lists gone. Things seem to be staying that way.

Good and thank you for the star 🙂

Sep 25, 2010 3:22 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi,
I am asking the same question and found your thread. I have looked at your suggestions for this post and this user. I understand it and have usually been organized with my bookmarks for a while but have since let it get out of control and I mean out of control.

Do you know of an easier way that Safari can look for duplicates and delete them?

I sometimes in a hurry add bookmarks to the bookmark bar and go back later to file them in appropriate folders. I was moving them and realized that I was coping them back into the same folder. Also can Safari organize folders alphabetically?

I suspect that is not possible but it is worth asking a more seasoned user. Thanks for your time!

Bookmark Bar, Bookmark Menu etc.,etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.