6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2010 12:12 PM by David M Brewer
Terry P Level 1 Level 1
expertise.ipad
iPad
I'll also post in the main Gmail forum, but maybe someone here can enlighten me please. In the short time that I've been using Gmail (on my desktop PC and here in MAIL on my iPad), I've never grasped the difference between Trash, Bin and *Deleted Items*.

I'd be happy with just one, preferably the last. If I delete a post from my inbox or anywhere else, it seems intuitively obvious that it would go to *Deleted Items*.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Message was edited by: Terry P

PC, Windows XP Pro, iPad 3G 64 GB, Quad core 2.66 GHz PC, HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile)
  • Reuben Feffer Level 2 Level 2
    Aren't Trash and Bin the same thing? I thought Bin was the localised (UK) word for the more American "Trash".
  • David M Brewer Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.video
    Video
    When you delete an email it's gone. When you send an email(s) to the trash bin it stays there until you delete the email(s) in the trash bin. The trash bin on the iPad is just a fancy folder that looks like a trash bin. When you put emails into it you'll saying to yourself that it is safe to delete these items without further inspection.

The trash bin is like the trash bin on your desktop computer. You can place items into it. The items stay on your computer until you empty the trash bin.

Delete is always delete...gone forever.
  • igmackenzie Level 4 Level 4
    David, how do you delete an email for example on the iPad?
    As far as I can see. There is only the option to send to the (Trash) Bin.
    expertise.video
    Video
    It has to go to the trash bin. They need to change that button from delete to trash bin.

Look at it as...if you selected the wrong email, you have a second chance to retive it. I empty my trash daliy or once a week just incase I need to retrieve one of the emails in the trash bin. I made a hold folder to put emails that will later be trashed.
  • igmackenzie Level 4 Level 4
    Yes, that is what I understood, but you said in your previous post that 'when you delete an email it's gone' and 'delete is always delete....gone forever'.
    I just wondered what you meant by that as I can't see how you 'delete', only send to the Trash Bin.
    (BTW, the delete button does show the Trash Bin on it.)
    expertise.video
    Video
    Yes delete should be gone forever. I also said they need to change the wording for the delete button to something like 'move to trash'.