Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Gmail: Trash v Bin v Deleted Items?

I'll also post in the main Gmail forum, but maybe someone here can enlighten me please. In the short time that I've been using Gmail (on my desktop PC and here in MAIL on my iPad), I've never grasped the difference between Trash, Bin and *Deleted Items*.

I'd be happy with just one, preferably the last. If I delete a post from my inbox or anywhere else, it seems intuitively obvious that it would go to *Deleted Items*.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Message was edited by: Terry P

PC, Windows XP Pro, iPad 3G 64 GB, Quad core 2.66 GHz PC, HTC Touch Pro 2 (Windows Mobile)

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 2:57 AM

6 replies

Sep 11, 2010 7:51 AM in response to Terry P

When you delete an email it's gone. When you send an email(s) to the trash bin it stays there until you delete the email(s) in the trash bin. The trash bin on the iPad is just a fancy folder that looks like a trash bin. When you put emails into it you'll saying to yourself that it is safe to delete these items without further inspection.

The trash bin is like the trash bin on your desktop computer. You can place items into it. The items stay on your computer until you empty the trash bin.

Delete is always delete...gone forever.

Sep 11, 2010 11:42 AM in response to igmackenzie

It has to go to the trash bin. They need to change that button from delete to trash bin.

Look at it as...if you selected the wrong email, you have a second chance to retive it. I empty my trash daliy or once a week just incase I need to retrieve one of the emails in the trash bin. I made a hold folder to put emails that will later be trashed.

Gmail: Trash v Bin v Deleted Items?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.