Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

the new nano doesn't play video anymore?

i'm confused? the first, second and third nano played video and had a camera....the new one doesn't

macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 5:04 AM

23 replies

Sep 10, 2010 3:00 PM in response to Ron Warrick

Yes, video was liked, and while a touch screen is ok, for the intended use, seems not necessary. As for buying a Touch to watch movies, the size and price difference is huge...I agree with the dude who said that it feels like a step backward...its like a shuffle plus, not a Nano. It was nice to have a small, light Ipod that allowed use to watch a video.

No sir, I don't like the change.
The clip is nice though!

Sep 14, 2010 2:47 AM in response to Michael vandervort

I had a 5th generation which stopped working after a week, and now have a 6th gen one. Wonder how long this one will last.

I'd assumed that it would play video - who takes features away from one model to the next?

As others say I wouldn't want to watch anything long on it, but for a 3 minute video podcast I'd prefer to be able to see the video. Seems like a step back. And don't particularly like the touch screen either - was perfectly happy with the track wheel.

Sep 14, 2010 5:54 AM in response to william patricio

I believe this nano was developed and designed for use when exercising and not as a camera/movie player. I think they did a good job at it as well.

If you want a movie player, camera, music/gaming device .. you get a touch.
If you want a music device, radio, pedometer .. you get a nano.
If you want a music device .. you get a shuffle.

(At least that's the way I see it)

Sep 14, 2010 7:03 PM in response to martinperrie

"Any other ideas?"
Yes, contact Apple. According to their own website...
http://www.apple.com/accessibility/itunes/hearing.html
"Captioned Movies on iPod
iPod models that support video — including iPod classic, iPod nano (3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation), and iPod touch — can also display captions when present in the content. Captions display in a high-contrast white-on-black font that’s easy to read."
The 6th generation Nano plays video. Plus the fact that the email their accessibility team has sent in response to my question...
"On your hearing page, closed captioning for videos refers to the newest nano, is this correct?" seems to confirm very clearly...
"Hi,

Thank you for the email. That information is correct, if the video content you have synced from iTunes contains closed caption information you can enable closed captioning. One thing to note, the new iPod Nano (6th Generation) will only sync music video content only.

Apple Accessibility"
Perhaps there is some special format to Apple Music videos that I am not aware of, but it seems as though changing the tag should allow it to sync. Perhaps it's an update away?

the new nano doesn't play video anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.