Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning off the shutter sound effect in camera mode (iPod Touch 4g)

I just got my new iPod Touch 4g and immediately started using the still and video camera features.

Question: Is there a way to mute the still camera's shutter sound effect? Even with the overall audio set to mute you still get a load shutter audio noise. I understand this is probably for privacy concerns, but I'd like to be able to use the camera feature at events where the noise would be distracting. Anyone know of a setting or app that would mute the sound effect?

IPod Touch 64gb 4g, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 5:36 PM

You just have to go to settings. Then go to sounds. And you see where it says (The volume of the ringer and alerts will not be affected by the volume buttons) just turn the switch on
8 replies

Dec 26, 2010 7:49 PM in response to batesokc

Why is there not a sound setting specifically for the camera? I find that strange.... It would be nice to not have to turn off the sound setting that separates my alarms from the rest of my iPod sounds every time I want to silence my camera sound. Then when Im done using the camera I have to go back to settings to change it back... it would be great if apple made a separate sound setting for the camera in the next iOS 4 update for the iPod Touch.

Feb 28, 2014 1:29 AM in response to batesokc

I just found out how to do it, completely by accident.

Normally, when you turn the volume down, the shutter sound plays at full volume reguardless. However, I have found a loophole in this. Here are the steps:

1. Pick a song from your library

2. Play song

3. Turn volume of song all the way to zero

4. Open camera app

5. Turn frown upside-down

When a song is playing, and the volume is turned all the way down, the shutter sound will not play.

Use this trick responsibly

Turning off the shutter sound effect in camera mode (iPod Touch 4g)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.