Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDR vs normal photos - which is which?

Maybe this is a very silly question but...if you have your iPhone 4 set to save both the normal and HDR versions of a picture, how do you tell which is which? I'm not familiar with the visual intricacies of HDR photography so am struggling to tell the difference visually. Is the HDR version first or second in the camera roll? Is there some other way of telling?

Thank you

iMac Intel Core i3, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 4GB RAM

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 8:47 AM

15 replies

Sep 9, 2010 10:22 AM in response to Cameron Paterson

Thanks v much - can now see the photo! 🙂 I see that we've been talking slightly at cross-purposes though: I was referring to telling which is which on my desktop Mac, once the photos have been synched over from my iPhone. You are quite right, though, to point out that I could work it out visually by looking at the photos on my phone but ideally it should be clear within the desktop software (for example, iPhoto).

Sep 9, 2010 12:56 PM in response to Cameron Paterson

I do not think there is a way to specifically tell the difference...but I have noticed that once I import into Iphoto, the image with the highest number (in the name,) for example IMG_175, is the HDR photo. The one with IMG_174 is the normal photo (assuming they visually appear the same.) In my limited testing though, I can visually tell the difference in the quality of the HDR vs normal photo.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Oct 5, 2010 7:59 AM in response to Cameron Paterson

If HDR is used, the iPhone 4 adds an Exif tag called 'Custom Rendered' with a value higher than 1 (O found 2 and 4 set on different pictures).

If you have a PC, download FileMind (it's free), it can extract pretty much every bit of metadata that is inside the picture, including this Exif tag. It has a 'side-by-side' comparison feature where you can line up pictures and see the difference in metadata. The free version of FileMind (Windows only) can be downloaded under http://www.metabilitysoftware.com/products/beta-lounge.html

HDR vs normal photos - which is which?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.