Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you use a nickname for Ping instead of your real name?

When I try to sign up for Ping, it tells me my previous nickname (that I used to review apps) will be universally replaced with the name I enter in Ping. There is a space for first name and last name, implying that they don't want nicknames.

Can I just enter my old Nickname in the first name blank?

Have any of you tried just one name blank?

32GB Black iPhone 4+3.06GHz 17-inch MacBook Pro 8GB - 500GB@7200 - Antiglare -, Mac OS X (10.6), - I want .mac back as an email option for MobileMe.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 2:44 PM

3 replies

Sep 12, 2010 8:57 PM in response to AppleZilla

I dont know why Apple did what it did, but it is total horsecr@p if you ask me--especially coming at a time where Facebook is getting heat for their privacy issues.

I tried using an alias and all it does is change the name on your entire Apple ID. That's right, if I wanted to have something sent to me from the Apple Store, it would be delivered to "tomservo" and not my real name anymore.

Bottom line is not everyone wants to have their real name in a searchable database. I opt out of the whole Ping experience because of Apple forcing you to do this. They did the right thing with Game Center, why not follow the same theory with Ping?

Sep 12, 2010 10:30 PM in response to Frozo

Yes, Game Center was done correctly. There, I was allowed to create a nickname. How about some consistency, Apple? You want us to tie things together with our Apple IDs, why not universally.

I don't want my real name to suddenly pop up in a bunch of app reviews, but I do want my real name tied to the account, behind the scenes.

Can you use a nickname for Ping instead of your real name?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.