Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Writing IPTC Metadata to Masters

I know some of this has been discussed, but I've got a few more questions on the topic. To ensure my captions, keywords, and location information is always available no matter what cataloging software I use, I wish to write my IPTC metadata to the master images. Here are my concerns:

1) I have altered the Creator, Headline, Source, Caption, Keywords, Location, City, State/Province, and Country fields - I assume all of these will be written to the masters since they're IPTC standard? Are there length limits for these fields (that is, is there a risk that some will be truncated)? Are there any drawbacks to writing these tags to the masters? (I know many people here don't want their originals touched, but as long as it doesn't affect the quality of my jpegs, I'm fine with it.) Most of my recent photos have GPS metadata - I have not altered these, nor have I added location data to photos that didn't originally have them, so I'm assuming those fields wouldn't be affected?

2) Is there no IPTC-standard field for people shown in a photo? (I know Aperture/iPhoto's Faces is proprietary, and I'm guessing so is Adobe's People field in their XML metadata.) Should I then just assign people's names as keywords, or is there a better way? (This wouldn't be a problem, as relatively few of my photos have human subjects.)

3) I have a library of about 45,000 pictures, all of which (except for about 1400 movies) have had some piece of metadata altered. I've noticed Aperture starts to get slow after I've been working in it for a while - so, should I write the tags in stages, or should I just highlight all of them at one time and let it work? About how long should it take?

4) Finally, I've tested writing the tags to the masters on a few of them, and I've noticed the "date created" shown in the Finder gets changed to the current date and time - Does this mean the entire file was re-created? Would Time Machine have to then re-copy all of them? (My masters total 153 GB, so that might take a while to back up.)

I know this is a lot at once, but it was a fair amount of work to migrate from iPhoto to Aperture (even with Aperture's convenient import feature) since iPhoto's cataloging tools are different from the IPTC standard. I'm contemplating another migration, and I don't want to have to go through all that again.

Thanks in advance.

Mac Pro 4,1 (8-Core 2.26 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.4), 10 GB RAM, 2x 750 GB HD, Radeon HD 4870, 24"LED Cinema Display, iPhone 3G S

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2010 12:04 PM

Hi strickerj,

I'm also slowly (but surely) moving my workflow away from Aperture, so I have been investigating this proprietary-metadata problem...

This only answers your number 2 question.

Just go to the top of your Library where the general "photos" icon is. Click it.
Now use the search filter field in the film strip, where you can add a filter like "face : includes : strickerj" and the filmstrip will only include pictures with your face detected.
Now stamp all these images with the metadata setting you want and then write your IPTC to your master and your done.
I think the "caption" field or the "keywords" field are your only options to write data to with lift and stamp.

Now if you happen to now how I can get my geotag information out of Aperture (places), including NEF as well as JPG I'd be very much obliged.
I know I can write metadata to xmp sidecars, but for some reason JPG files are treated differently then RAW files.

Let me know if this works for you.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 10, 2010 12:04 PM in response to strickerj

Hi strickerj,

I'm also slowly (but surely) moving my workflow away from Aperture, so I have been investigating this proprietary-metadata problem...

This only answers your number 2 question.

Just go to the top of your Library where the general "photos" icon is. Click it.
Now use the search filter field in the film strip, where you can add a filter like "face : includes : strickerj" and the filmstrip will only include pictures with your face detected.
Now stamp all these images with the metadata setting you want and then write your IPTC to your master and your done.
I think the "caption" field or the "keywords" field are your only options to write data to with lift and stamp.

Now if you happen to now how I can get my geotag information out of Aperture (places), including NEF as well as JPG I'd be very much obliged.
I know I can write metadata to xmp sidecars, but for some reason JPG files are treated differently then RAW files.

Let me know if this works for you.

Sep 10, 2010 12:02 PM in response to strickerj

Hi

1) Yes, these IPTC fields will be written to the masters. Here is more information about the length of fields: http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/index.html#chapter=11%26se ction=8%26hash=apple_ref:doc:uid:Aperture-UserManual-91292MET-1049586. If you have GPS data already in the master, this data should not be changed if you write IPTC data to the master.

2) There is no standard for people in IPTC. I think the best would be to create keywords for people if you want to export this information (I don't use Faces).

3) I once in a while write the IPTC metadata to my JPEG masters. I guess for my ~ 20'000 masters it takes around 1 hour.

4) After writing IPTC metadata to a master, the whole file has to be backed up which takes some time. I use SuperDuper for this.

Hope this helps 😉
Michael

Sep 10, 2010 1:52 PM in response to Michael Hobi

Thanks all... as I've been digging into this digital asset management concept for a few years now, and there's more to it than I could have imagined!

viskwal: That's about what I figured. Actually, tagging Faces as keywords will be easy for me since I already have a smart album for each person in Faces. (They're in folders by context - that is, classmate, coworker, family member, etc. - just in case, years down the road, I see a name and don't remember how I know that person.)

As for locations, I could go back and locate all my photos from before I had the GPS-equipped camera, but I haven't bothered, so I don't know how you'd save that data. I've also been shooting exclusively jpeg since it's got built-in metadata (and I don't do any post-processing), so I have no experience with RAW.

Michael Hobi: Thanks for the link - I think I'm ok as far as those lengths are concerned. (I have a few long names in the Location field, but that wasn't mentioned there.) As for the write time, that's actually about what I figured - it won't be instantaneous, but at least I'm reasonably sure it won't go on for days. (My original import from iPhoto took 17 hours!)

Sep 10, 2010 10:27 PM in response to strickerj

Hi strickerji

I also have only JPEG images and since I don't have a GPS-equipped camera they don't contain GPS data. I tried to apply GPS information to my images with the Location feature of Aperture, but that wouldn't let me write the GPS data into my master images. So whenever I do an 'Update from Master' the GPS information gets lost.
The only way for me to solve this was to use another program that can write the GPS data into my masters. I am now using the Aperture plug-in 'Maperture Pro' (free) that really writes the GPS data into my masters.

Have a nice weekend 🙂
Michael

Sep 11, 2010 2:59 PM in response to Michael Hobi

I completed the project today - my 43,536 JPEG photos (133 GB) required just over 2 hours for Aperture to write the metadata to the masters and then another hour and a half for Time Machine to back them up. (Unfortunately, my 1410 video files and 12 GIF images apparently don't support embedded metadata.) All in all it went quite smoothly.

To Michael Hobi - I thought I recognized your name, so I checked some of my old threads, and it turns out you were the one who responded when I posted some similar questions as I was first starting this project a few months ago. Thanks again for all your help! From now on I'll definitely be writing all my metadata tags to the masters - I think that's a good idea in case your Aperture library gets corrupted or you decide to switch. I like that Lightroom tells you if a photo's metadata has been changed since it was last saved to the original.

Writing IPTC Metadata to Masters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.