Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 4.1 on 3G - Battery Meter Wrong

Has anyone had problems with the battery meter after updating to 4.1? The meter is correct while discharging, but not while charging. To get an accurate reading after a charge, the only solution I've found is rebooting the phone. I've tried several times with the same result. Also, I've tried draining to see if recalibration was needed or something. Any help would be appreciated.

iPhone 3G, iOS 4, iOS 4.1

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 1:51 PM

12 replies

Sep 12, 2010 5:51 AM in response to Bugfixer

The statement above regarding lack of compatbility is outright wrong. The link below clearly states that the iPad charger IS compatible with iPhone 3G. This is obviously a software issue.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC359LL/A?aosid=p204&siteid=1503186&program_id =2554&cid=OAS-EMEA-AFF&tduid=753b325ddbae6ee7ea0f0ea135abad77&fnode=MTc0MjU4NjA& mco=MTcyMTgxNzE

Sep 15, 2010 3:37 AM in response to exq0867

Greetings,

There is likely no issue with your phone/software, other than you may need to calibrate the meter. That old phone can have a meter go out of calibration with the installation of iOS 4.1, especially if you are going straight from 3.13.

All you have to do is to charge it up overnight, then run it down all the way until it shuts itself all the way off, not just go to sleep. After that let it rest a half hour or so, and fully charge it, without using it. It's best to plug it in, and then do a full shut down, and let it charge fully. The meter should be in calibration, after that.

I've seen some folks have to do this a couple of times, if they continually short charge it, but once is usually enough.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what the meter says while it's charging, as other things are going on that will make the meter fluctuate a bit, since it's on.

Cheers,
M.

Sep 16, 2010 8:57 AM in response to exq0867

I just upgraded my 1.5 y/o 3G to 4.1 and have been having noting but problems. The worst is that I leave it plugged in all night but it still shows low battery in the morning. If I re-start it, it shows that I have a full charge. Will resetting the battery meter as it says above fix this?

Since installing it my batter life has decresed signifigantly.

And when I go to view my photos in Camera Roll 3/4 of them are blacked out when I look at the thumbnails, to see them at all I have to enlarge one and skim through them all.

Any fixes? I can't go to an apple store because there isn't one close to where I live.

Sep 17, 2010 4:58 AM in response to exq0867

My battery indicator is not reliable. If I'm on the internet, the battery indicator will drain down to red level within about 10 minutes, and then the iPhone will shut off. Upon being turned back on, the indicator will show about 30%. But the phone will turn off after just a few minutes of use.

Yesterday, after a full night's charge (a must every night, and usually at least once during the day also), I took one picture and was in the process of emailing it, when the phone just shut down. Upon turning it back on, the battery showed less than 20%. Ridiculous!!

Most of the time the battery appears to be drained, but occasionally, upon turning the phone back on an hour or so later, the battery will show at greater than 50%. I use this phone for business, and I've come not to rely on it -- very frustrating. I need to make a change within the next two days!

iOS 4.1 on an 18-month old 3G.

Sep 23, 2010 2:46 AM in response to exq0867

I have the same problem here using the iPad charger since iOS update to 4.1 (didn't have this issue before). It shows battery level @20% when the battery is actually fully charged. Once I stick my iphone into my iphone/ipod-dock equipped radio, it 'charges' within 5-10 min. to 100%.

Have to try my default iPhone charger once I get my hands on it to see what difference it makes.

Dec 4, 2010 1:05 PM in response to exq0867

The solution here is apparently to go to 4.2.1. I am not sure if there was a bug or whatever in 4.1, but whatever it was was resolved in 4.2.1 and the battery meter appears to be accurate. No significant problems in performance or battery life that I have run into.

BTW, I did not go the update route, but rather the restore route.

iOS 4.1 on 3G - Battery Meter Wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.