Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cracked Glass

I bought a new iPhone and the glass cracked on the 4th day. I was babying it! Kept it in my bag and never dropped it.

I must have dropped my old phone 15X and it still looks mint. Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. It cracked from the round button to the edge of the phone.

Message was edited by: futureperfect

iOS 4

Posted on Sep 12, 2010 12:19 PM

20 replies

Nov 14, 2010 1:01 PM in response to roaminggnome

I have a major bone to pick here with Apple. Since when does a tiny pain of glass cost $199.00?

The other issue is at least WARN customers how fragile the glass is guys. My iPhone fell less then two feet and the glass cracked. Clearly this is not tempered glass as some would have you believe.

Glass that is hardened does not crack easily, and when it does it shatters like a car window. I suspect the $199.00 cost more then replaces a damage screen - I am not going to be a sheep and role over and simply agree to be overcharged.

< Edited by Host >

Nov 14, 2010 1:46 PM in response to $199-for-Glass-RIPOFF

It's more than a "tiny" pane of glass. It's replacement of the whole LCD assembly since it is all fused together.

The back which is a "tiny" pane of glass costs $29 if you break it.

I don't know what you drive for a car but car windshields don't shatter but they can crack fairly easily. When I lived up north, I had to replace my Jeep windshield twice because it cracked.

Nov 15, 2010 8:36 AM in response to futureperfect

Some Apple store just tell you $200 of the bat...Some actualy inspect, When the Digitizer Screen broke on my 3GS while I was on deployement and I was in Hawaii...I went to the Alamoana Mall (Something like that) the guy inspected my phone and said its going to cost $80...so I was like cool OK lets fix it...But then they didnt have the right part for it, but they told me there is another Apple Store close to the Beach, so I went.

I got to the Apple store by the Beach and showed them. The Genius said straight up $199.00 to fix it, then I told the guy its just the Digitizer the LCD and Glass are intact...the genius was like yeah but its still $199 to fix it...then I told them what the other Apple store told me...then he said wait a momment...came back and said OK well fix this for $80..and went ahead and fix my 3GS...

I know someone who broke the Back Glass of the 4 and only cost him $50 to fix...but then somejust shell out $200 just cause the genius say so...

Feb 3, 2011 6:15 PM in response to Kwopau

$29 back glass is confirmed? I broke mine 24 hours after owning it (day one perch -- couldn't get a bumper as they were all out) and then brought it back and they said $200. been looking into glass panels on ebay and such, but don't want to take the risk.

can anyone confirm that you can walk into an apple store (i'm in San Francisco) and get a back panel replacement for $29?

Feb 6, 2011 5:55 PM in response to futureperfect

So if this glass is supposed to be 30X stronger than plastic and as strong as a helicopter windshield, why is it not covered under the warranty? Why would a cell phone be made out of glass at all. Who doesn't inevitably drop a cell phone? I've had mine for less that 24 hours, hadn't yet found a cover, dropped it, and the front glass shattered. VERY DISAPPOINTED! I bought the insurance, hope it covers it; however, the $12 a month and $199 deductible seems like highway robbery for a defect in the first place.

Feb 6, 2011 6:17 PM in response to Christine W

"Why would a cell phone be made out of glass at all."

Because of the touch screen. Why would someone buy a phone made out of glass if they thought it was a mistake. And no matter how strong, you dropped it so of course it is not covered by the warranty. What if the logic board is also damaged (which is possible) or the LCD screen digitizer (even more likely to be damaged).

$12 per month and $199 deductible? You do realize you can get an out-of-warranty replacement iPhone from Apple for $199?

Cracked Glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.