Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random vibrating

Since the iOS 4.0 upgrade, my phone periodically vibrates for no apparent reason. The battery is charged, I don't have any unchecked texts or emails, and there are no notifications. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 8:45 AM

40 replies

Sep 17, 2010 1:41 PM in response to recker101

Do you have push email with other folders besides your Inbox set to push?

I have my Gmail set to automatically apply a certain label to messages with a certain subject prefix. This "label" shows up as a folder on my iPhone, with Gmail set up as an exchange account. I have that folder set to push in addition to messages in my Inbox, so the phone will make the e-mail sound and vibrate when a message is received in that folder. However for some reason it doesn't show the badge on the Mail app. So if you heard the tone or felt the vibration, but then looked at the phone, it would appear that it vibrated for no reason, but it really did have a reason.

Sep 23, 2010 11:37 AM in response to recker101

I am not positive about this, but I have noticed that my iPhone 3G used to vibrate (or "bing" if sounds were on) when it would restore a cellular network connection sometimes after it had been "Searching..." Is it possible that your phone is temporarily losing connectivity, and then just notifying you that the connection has been re-established?

Sep 27, 2010 6:05 AM in response to PatrickGSR94

Is there a way to set only the e-mail account that comes with my iPhone service package to "push", since it's the only one that gives me specifics when a message arrives? The settings in "Fetch New Data" seem to apply to ALL e-mail accounts; I can't pick and choose which ones will "notify" me (that something has happened, but it isn't clear what) and which ones won't.

While we're at it, is there a way to make the phone vibrate MORE when I want it to? My old, non-iPhone cell vibrated for a much longer time when a message arrived. The iPhone's vibration is wimpy and easy to miss when it's in your pocket.

Nov 8, 2010 11:49 PM in response to recker101

Yes, I have the same problem. I just got my iPhone4 less than 2 weeks ago. It started fine, but just in the last few hours it's been vibrating as described by other posters here. I guess there's still no solution to this problem?

Some suggested that the iPhone vibrate when it changes from 3G to gprs & vice versa but I confirm that my phone still vibrates even when there's no network change. Another thing that I noticed is that the random vibration stopped if I disable "notification" (via Settings>Notifications>Off). But if you still want to have the notification, you can just turn off the "Sounds". I only leaves the "Badges" option On. Hope this helps.

Nov 9, 2010 12:05 AM in response to magpies83

The followings does not apply to me, but I thought I'd share something I found from user Tourn at MacRumors forum:
"Ok. Experiment for u all Set phone on silent with vibrate active. place ur thumb and finger on the front and back of ur phone in the top left corner. Now squeeze. Somehow it activates the phone in loud mode and realeasing will default it back to silent. It's hitting the switch inside the phone somehow. Phantom vibration lol!"

Nov 27, 2010 8:23 AM in response to recker101

I also have the same issue and I'm looking for a solution on an iPhone 3GS. I've only noticed this since the upgrade to iOS 4.0 or 4.1 and it persists with iOS 4.2 which I had hoped would solve this issue. I started turning notifications off for some apps for which I didn't care to receive any, which seemed to reduce the number of sound alerts and vibrations, but not eliminate them. I do want to receive notifications for some apps and I am therefore hesitant to turn off all notifications. I notice the problem most on weekends when I try to sleep in as opposed to during the week. I wish I could find a resolution to this issue.

Jan 14, 2011 11:06 AM in response to recker101

I have more information on this problem (not a solution, though). The problem is hardware, not software. It appears to be a problem with the switch to put the phone into and out of vibrate mode.

I noticed the same random vibration problem. I did not find anything in software that would point to this seeming random vibration. What I discovered is that when I squeeze my 3GS iPhone, I can make it vibrate. Let me know if you can do the same thing. Here are the steps:
1. Make sure you phone is in silent mode (switch down, red dot showing)
2. Put your thumb in the upper-left corner of the phone, to the left of the phone speaker, and above the silent mode switch.
3. Put your index finger on the back of the phone opposite your thumb.
4. Squeeze gently.

When I do this, my phone vibrates and displays the silent mode icon on the screen (if the screen is on). If the screen is asleep, it still vibrates, but does not wake up the screen. If the phone is not in silent mode, this does not happen.

There can be many causes of this problem, but I suspect a fault in the switch or its connection to the circuit board. I can confidently rule out a software problem.

Please try this and report your results. If your phone does this and you live near an Apple Store, please let us know what they say about this at the Genius Bar.

Thanks,
Mark

Jan 23, 2011 11:07 AM in response to recker101

I am also having these same problems with my iphone 3GS - when I press down on my phone it vibrates. I have also had problems where my phone is locked in the vibrate position - and I still get phone calls! I've been going on about a week with this problem.

I dropped my first iphone in water, and had to get it replaced so I don't believe my current iPhone is under warranty. I am going to make an appointment with the Genius Bar this week to see what they can do for me - or if I may be forced to upgrade to iphone 4. I will update with what I hear back.

Random vibrating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.