Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlist ordering with 4G shuffle NOT possible

It's not possible to sync the order of songs with the 4. Generation of the iPod shuffle. THe shuffle is playing always ordered by Artist.

Changing the order in iTunes and re-sync the iPod doesn't affect the order on the iPod shuffle.

Is this a bug in the firmware of the 4G shuffle or a problem with iTunes?

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 2:06 PM

8 replies

Nov 22, 2017 6:02 PM in response to Community User

Just got a used 4G. I use it for sleep meditation / hypnosis. I need the songs to be in order! I found a workaround based on the "automatic ordering by artist" comment. So, change the name of the artists: select the song. right click and choose "song info." then "options" then you can type into the artist line "A1" or even just A then B etc. worked for me so far!

Sep 20, 2010 3:28 PM in response to Community User

If you are syncing playlists, whatever you have the list sorted to in iTunes will show up in the ipod after you sync.

If you are syncing manually, you can adjust the sort order on the device itself by click on the "Music" line under the name of your ipod on the left side of the itunes window. You then use the list of music on the right and can change the sort order there.

If you are not seeing it act this way, try restoring your ipod first.

i

Sep 22, 2010 11:26 AM in response to Community User

I also cannot rearrange the songs in the music library of my new shuffle. (This was never a problem with my older shuffle.) This may not be the perfect solution (I still think Apple should address this problem) but my sister thought of a good work-around and that is to create a playlist on your shuffle called "everything" or something similar, click on the first song in your shuffle music library, press the shift key, then click on the last song in the library and drag the entire list into your new playlist. Then you can rearrange the songs to your heart's content. You'll just need to remember to add new songs to this playlist as you add them to your library.

Sep 22, 2010 3:49 PM in response to Tweeta

You can sort all the music that is not in a playlist on your shuffle. It inherits whatever sort you have selected for your entire music library in itunes. To see what I am talking about, do this:

1. Under Library (on the left side of iTunes) click "Music"
2. You now see on the right your entire music library. At the top, click the top of the column you want to sort by. You can right click to add more columns
3. Sort by something different than what you are currently sorting by.
4. Connect your shuffle and wait for it to come up
5. When your shuffle appears on the left, open it and click "Music" and note how it is sorted. The column it is currently sorted by will be darker in its heading and their will be a triangle in that columns heading
6. Now click on the name of your shuffle and click sync.
7. Go back to your "Music" entry on your shuffle and you will see it is now sorted by the column you changed your iTunes music library too.

So, your music on your shuffle will inherit the sort order you have set for your entire library on itunes, when you sync it.

Does that make sense?

i

Sep 22, 2010 8:19 PM in response to iPod Whisperer

I don't want the library sorted any particular way (like by artist or song title), I want to be able to put the songs in whatever order I want and be able to change the order whenever I want. I was always able to switch around the song order on the library list (even just to reverse the order of a couple of songs) just by clicking and dragging on my older shuffle. I can click and drag the songs around in my playlists on my 4G shuffle but I can't do anything with the music library.

Jul 14, 2016 7:40 AM in response to Community User

Is song ordering with new new iTunes 10.0.1 update now possible on the iPod shuffle 4G, or do we need a firmware upgrade for the iPod, to fix the issue?

Playlist ordering with 4G shuffle NOT possible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.