Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flip4Mac

How do I download the free version of flip4mac. Whenever i try, I still can't play the files that need it. Am I doing something wrong, or how do I get it to play?

A list of steps on how to get it working would be helpful.

Thanks

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 4:01 PM

9 replies

Sep 14, 2010 4:27 PM in response to NCMARK

Download and run the Installer package from this link then restart your Mac

If it's installed correctly then in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins you should see two files:
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin
Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin

Then, QuickTime Player (or your browser) should 'see' and play avi and other Windows formats OK, if it's not then open System Preferences/Flip4Mac WMV and check the settings there.

User uploaded file

Sep 15, 2010 1:58 PM in response to Murat Lahur

Murat Lahur wrote:
why the older quicktime 7 ???
I have quicktime X and perian and not a single format that I can not play . . is the quicktime 7 better ?

I've come across numerous .avi and .mkv files that Perian won't process properly in QuickTime X. Those same files play perfectly in QuickTime 7 (using Perian) and VLC. I've even tried installing other 3rd party plugins that I've seen people recommend for .mkv file issues with Perian and QTX and there's still no change. Those files, across multiple machines I own all suffer the same problem (with QXT & Perian) so I've isolated it to QTX's compatibility with Perian for these files. Sadly, the number of .avi files I've tried (and have failed with) are well over 100 at this point and as such I just can't trust the application.

Sep 15, 2010 2:00 PM in response to iVmichael

iVmichael wrote:
Flip4Mac plays .avi files fine Jason, but I agree the Perian Plug-In is also a good "Swiss Army Knife" option to install.

Thanks for that screen shot, very helpful. I do the majority of my .avi watching in VLC as it's proven to be always reliable. Especially with the upcoming VLC app for iOS which will helpful be released, I'm moving some (but not all) of my eggs into that basket.

Nov 21, 2010 8:48 AM in response to iVmichael

During the free installation of Flip4Mac WMV the installation asks for the insertion of a disk with my name and the installation will not continue past this point for I do not have a disk with my name to install. I created a blank disk with my name and it will still not proceed with the installation. Lest reinstalling leapord I am not sure as to how to resovle this issue. Since this installation attempt I have not been able to stream some internet radio programming. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Bob-
o'

Flip4Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.