Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages not recognising British English

I have recently changed iMacs to a new 27". Have installed iWork and set Pages preference to British English in the Inspector.

That's been fine for two weeks. But I've just downloaded an update for Pages and it no longer recognises British English. I've tried creating new templates set to British English; going into the inspector for individual documents and deselecting then reselecting British English; I've gone to system preferences and reselected British English in 'Language and Text' - but none of these have corrected the problem. I've checked old docs created on my prior Mac in templates set to "British English" and these are now highlighting words such as 'programme' and 'colour' as being wrongly spelt.

Is there anything else I should try before I opt to reinstall iWork from scratch?

27" iMac i3,Intel MacBook, G5 iMac, iPhone 4, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 12:09 AM

25 replies

Sep 15, 2010 7:12 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom, why should the OP do that? The MacOs system comes with British English and Pages can use British English. Isn't it better that the system is correctly installed with British English rather than English?

If the OP does as Peter implies, make sure that in System preferences > Language and text > Language make sure that British English is at the top in the window and then restart the computer it will work. There is no need for having English in this window if the OP doesn't want to use applications or keyboard that don't support English (that is American english)

Sep 15, 2010 7:22 AM in response to fruhulda

Tom, why should the OP do that?

Because sometimes the other possible fixes don't seem to work.

There is no need for having English in this window if the OP doesn't want to use applications or keyboard that don't support English (that is American english)

I think it is best to keep English in that Window. Some apps may not recognize British English as a localization at all and will revert to some other language if English is not present.

I don't the languages window has any connection with what keyboards can be used.

Sep 15, 2010 7:25 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:
Tom, why should the OP do that?

Because sometimes the other possible fixes don't seem to work.

I don't think the OP has tried the correct fix yet. British people thinks English is their language and might not understand that it is referring to US English. The OPs system has to be corrected first.

There is no need for having English in this window if the OP doesn't want to use applications or keyboard that don't support English (that is American english)

I think it is best to keep English in that Window. Some apps may not recognize British English as a localization at all and will revert to some other language if English is not present.

I don't the languages window has any connection with what keyboards can be used.

Good point!

Sep 15, 2010 12:22 PM in response to fruhulda

I'm afraid none of these work.

In System Preferences I have British English at the top of my language list, have removed the one just labelled 'English' from the list completely. Also in System Preferences I have Text Spelling set to British English, none of the other 'English' boxes are ticked. The Input Sources only has 'British' ticked and the 'Use the same one in all documents' button is pressed In Dictionary I have the British English (IPA) box ticked for pronunciation

Have logged out with all of the above done and it still won't let me use British English.

Have now put 'English' back in my language list but underneath British English - logged out but it still won't recognise British English.

Would be grateful if anyone has any other suggestions - if not I'm going to re-install Pages and hope that works.

thanks

Sep 15, 2010 3:21 PM in response to Neil Myners

How is it behaving if you run Pages from an other user account ?

If it behaves correctly, reinstalling iWork would be wasted time.

Did you apply the good old medicine : trash the Pages preferences file ?

<startupVolume>:Users:<yourAccount>:Library:Preferences:com.apple.iWork.Pages.pl ist

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) jeudi 16 septembre 2010 00:21:49

Sep 15, 2010 3:48 PM in response to Neil Myners

Neil

It should just work. There is obviously something wrong.

I have Australian English, which is just British (the Australian is hokum), selected and it is by default spelling check correctly.

Do a *Complete Reinstall:*

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewtopic.php?t=105&mforum=iworktips ntrick

and make sure you have all relevant iWork and (Combo) System updates.

Peter

Sep 15, 2010 10:37 PM in response to Neil Myners

Neil, then I don't think the problem is in Pages but in the System as the dictionaries a comes with the system and not with iWork.
Do as Yvan suggest. Create a new user account and log in to it. try PAges and spelling and see if it behaves in the new account. If it does something is wrong in your original account. If it doesn't it is a system problem.

Sep 16, 2010 6:21 AM in response to fruhulda

Unfortunately it looks as though it is a system problem. I created a Test Account and tried Pages, Text Edit and also Stickies. On all three I was getting American English despite the System Preferences set to British English and the 'more' section of 'text' in the Inspector of Pages being set to British English. Have also now tried Australian English (thanks for the tip Peter) in both System Preferences and Pages Inspector, but that isn't working either.

I've used Macs for 15 years so know my way around them to a reasonable degree, but am not what I would call exceptionally computer literate. If anyone has any further advice (that preferably doesn't involve anything too technical or third party), I'd be grateful. Failing that I'll contact Apple or live with it.

Thanks for everyone's advice so far.

Pages not recognising British English

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.