Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Send Mail with Same Outgoing Server

I have 2 Roadrunner accounts that use the same outgoing smtp server. In order for me to send email (receiving POP email is not a problem), I have to set the outgoing server for port 25, no SSL and no authentication. I can get one of the accounts to work. But, when I try to set up the 2nd roadrunner account with the same settings on the same outgoing server, I get an error from OSX mail telling me the following:
"Could not save the changes
The servers marked with alert icons are in conflict and cannot be saved. Two servers cannot share the same address and authentication settings. Resolve the conflicts and try again."

Can someone help me figure out how to get around this? I'd really like to send mail from my accounts.

Thanks!

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4), Apple Mail 4.3

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 8:18 AM

6 replies

Sep 15, 2010 8:22 AM in response to Venom51

Venom51 wrote:
I have 2 Roadrunner accounts that use the same outgoing smtp server. In order for me to send email (receiving POP email is not a problem), I have to set the outgoing server for port 25, no SSL and no authentication. I can get one of the accounts to work. But, when I try to set up the 2nd roadrunner account with the same settings on the same outgoing server, I get an error from OSX mail telling me the following:
"Could not save the changes
The servers marked with alert icons are in conflict and cannot be saved. Two servers cannot share the same address and authentication settings. Resolve the conflicts and try again."

Welcome to Apple's discussion groups.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but can't you have both accounts use the same SMTP server? If you're still trying to create the second account using the account creation wizard, I'd try giving it dummy SMTP information, then change it to use the real SMTP server once the account is created.

Sep 15, 2010 9:04 AM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Apparently, OSX won't allow me to use the same outgoing smtp server for 2 different accounts. I'm rather confused about it. I can set up both accounts (and receive mail for both) but if they share the same outgoing server info, namely when I set the parameters for SSL and authentication, I get the aforementioned error.

Sep 15, 2010 11:12 AM in response to Venom51

Venom51 wrote:
Apparently, OSX won't allow me to use the same outgoing smtp server for 2 different accounts.

Although it may be wrongly worded, that's not what that error message says. It says that you can't have two different SMTP servers with the "same address and authentication settings", not that you can't use the same SMTP server for two accounts. Have you tried defining a dummy SMTP server for the second account, then switching it to use the actual server? What type of authentication is that SMTP server using?

Sep 15, 2010 12:42 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

Hi William and again, thanks for the reply.

I'm using the same smtp (Roadrunner) outgoing server for 2 different email addresses. I tried setting up a dummy account and then switching to the correct outgoing server but it won't work.

In order for me to send mail, authentication (for Roadrunner) must be set to "none" for the outgoing smtp server. I can do that with one of my Roadrunner addresses (and it works), but not for 2. I guess that's where I'm confused.

Of the 2 Roadrunner addresses, 1 works because I can set the outgoing server authentication preference to "none". But, the other address won't send because I can't set the authentication preference to "none" because Mail won't allow it.

I'm sure my explanation is clear as mud now!

Can't Send Mail with Same Outgoing Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.