Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New ATV

I am considering getting an apple TV and cutting off my current cable subscription. However I am trying to decide the best option.

Since netflix is coming to Canada I would go with them and stream to ATV. I'm currently with zip.ca and would still use them for physical media. I would likely add atvflash but not sure if it's compatible with the new one. My receiver is old so would have to get a converter. These last two add to the cost.

I'd get the old model but no netflix with that. My other option is getting a mini, but seems costly for a media centre.

Any help would be appeciated.

iMac 2.8GHz 2GB RAM ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iBook G4 1.07GHz 512MB RAM Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 9:36 AM

9 replies

Sep 15, 2010 9:39 AM in response to vazandrew

only you can decide which is the best option, but bear in mind that TV rentals are only available in the US just now, so i can't see the appletv being anywhere near capable of replacing cable TV (and i don't think that it what it is designed to be anyway).

don't include what any device might be able to do via unofficial hacks as a major point on any decision as they are never without issues and never confirmed to always work.

Sep 15, 2010 10:56 AM in response to Chenks

Thanks

Didn't know about the TV rentals part. But I would be only renting from iTunes occasionally anyway. Most of my content would be through netflix and downloads streaming from my computer.

If I went with the mini I would be able to just stream any web content directly. But you're right, I guess I need to make the decision myself.

Sep 15, 2010 11:32 AM in response to vazandrew

vazandrew wrote:> Didn't know about the TV rentals part. But I would be only renting from iTunes occasionally anyway. Most of my content would be through netflix and downloads streaming from my computer.

any such downloads you are streaming from your computer would need to be appletv compatible and be in your itunes library.

If I went with the mini I would be able to just stream any web content directly. But you're right, I guess I need to make the decision myself.

the mac mini is 6 times more expensive than the new appletv.

Sep 15, 2010 1:59 PM in response to Chenks

Yes I know about compatibility. I'm actually in media and have a lot of converters so i'll be fine with that.

I know the mini is a lot more $$ but i'm just trying to weigh my options. I'm done paying for cable. It makes more sense to just up my internet package and stream/download content..so now it's just a matter of what is the best way to do that.

I only have a handful of shows I care to watch on a regular basis anyway.

I just found out a friend has both ATV and the Mini (and hasn't used cable in years) so i'm going to see what his opinion is.

Sep 16, 2010 12:29 PM in response to vazandrew

I would seriously consider the mini if you are truly dumping cable. Even though the Mini is 6x as much you have to look at the big picture costs. How much is you cable bill? How much to up your internet?
As an example
Cable = $70 / Month
Upgrade Internet = $10 / month more
Mini $600

600 /(70 - 10) = 10 months to recoup cost of mini

With the mini you will have ultimate flexibility

Sep 28, 2010 7:47 AM in response to EK_99

Well I did look at the bigger picture and buying a computer didn't seem like a good idea the more I thought about it. I have an iMac in the basement, so if need be i'll watch the odd thing down there.

Finances are grim, i'm trying to cut costs and a big upfront bill doesn't seem doable. Right now its $90 for net/cable. It will be $55-60 with upped internet bandwidth. Immediate savings per month, plus i'll be getting my current seasons over the air via digital tuner.

New ATV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.