5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 28, 2010 6:09 PM by Hawaiian_Starman
JayhawkCWE Level 1 (0 points)
does anyone have any idea if and when this is going to be fixed?

Aperture 3, fully updated, is telling me the RAW from the Panasonic FZ100 is an incompatible file type. I'm assuming because Aperture doesn't have the ability to read this particular type of RAW file, but I'm not sure.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

iMac 3.06ghz, Mac OS X (10.6.3), a sweet jimi hendrix wallpaper
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 (137,945 points)
    The Raw for each individual camera model (note that's model, not not brand) has to be added specifically. Here's a list of the currently supported camerasL]

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3825

Your camera isn't on it. No one outside of Apple knows when or if it will be.

The workaround is to convert to DNG.

Regards

TD
  • JayhawkCWE Level 1 (0 points)
    Thanks for the response!

How would you suggest converting it to a DNG? I'm assuming Photoshop since DNG is, as far as I know, an Adobe format...

Is that going to be less compression than a TIFF?

Sorry for all the questions, I work with a Canon Camera in Aperture. These questions are for one of my students.
  • Hawaiian_Starman Level 7 (21,405 points)
    DNG conversion is via Photoshop/Camera Raw. I'm using CS5 Suite. My RW2 images from the FZ100 are converted to the dng format via Adobe's Photo Downloader.

As far as Aperture 3 or even OS X compatibility for the Lumix Z series RW2 format, with the exception of the supported FZ50, I'm very disappointed the Z series is still ignored by Apple. Would be helpful if Apple would simply state why these cameras remain off the list. Or perhaps this something to discuss with Panasonic???
  • Gary Level 2 (185 points)
    DNG conversion is via Photoshop/Camera Raw.

Actually, that doesn't appear to be the only way. Adobe offers [a standalone convertor|http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4575|Adobe DNG Converter 5.5 update]. I haven't tried this myself.

Regards,
    Gary
  • Hawaiian_Starman Level 7 (21,405 points)
    Bridge CS5 and Lightroom 3 now support the FZ100 RW2 Raw format. I'm soon converting to Lightroom 3 from Aperture. Very tired waiting for Apple to provide compatibility for the FZ series.