Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Poor You Tube and Internet streaming

Does anybody else have terrible video streaming on their I-Pad?
Any video I try to stream from You Tube or any other site stops playing after about five seconds. These videos load at a snails pace if at all. I've tried clearing the cache, cookie, history......doesn't help.
Any Suggestions?

I-pad, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 5:56 PM

13 replies

Sep 16, 2010 5:18 AM in response to galindenba

galindenba wrote:
Does anybody else have terrible video streaming on their I-Pad?
Any video I try to stream from You Tube or any other site stops playing after about five seconds. These videos load at a snails pace if at all. I've tried clearing the cache, cookie, history......doesn't help.
Any Suggestions?

Some people posting here have had success by changing the DNS server address on their network to another server. For suggestions search this forum for "dns YouTube".

For what it's worth I have never had any problem with YouTube on my iPad.

Sep 25, 2010 10:10 PM in response to galindenba

Having the exact same problem. The same movies stream just fine on my MacBook and iPhone but the iPad can't seem to handle it. The iPad just starts then stops and never continues playing. Is this a limitation of the hardware, or software or both? Seems like a pretty ridiculous web browser, if it won't even play streaming QT movies. Even this Apple webpage looks odd on my iPad. This device gets a little less "magical" every day.

Sep 30, 2010 4:23 PM in response to galindenba

OMG! This exact thing has been happening with my iPad for months. Since it happens for some video and not others I figured I would never get it across, so I never brought it up to this discussion board. I have ATT high Speed Pro, works just fine with our other wireless computers.
I hope someone can figure it out because
It's infuriating.

Dee

Dec 6, 2010 7:52 PM in response to galindenba

I have an iPhone 3GS and a few Apple laptops, and they all stream YouTube very well from our speedy cable connection.

I just received a new iPad and upon trying to watch YouTube videos, many stop loading after a minute or two. No amount of nudging or reloading will load any more of these videos.

Clearly, there is either a problem with the iPad (hence this thread), or else perhaps the iPad is triggering something in routers or modems that cuts the stream? Or does the iPad streaming demand more data, and perhaps that causes a problem? I will try streaming on my Laptop at the highest resolutions of the same videos and see how it goes.

@jmhdk When I have a chance, I will look into your suggestion.

Message was edited by: Rob Mitchell1

Dec 14, 2010 6:04 PM in response to PS Powers

I just read the following in the DNS YouTube post and when I did what it said my YouTube worked perfectly. Hope this works for you too.
There is a simple way to fix the buffer or loading time of YouTube using your iPhone/iPad. Like many from this discussion telling you to fix your DNS, settings etc. The problem is not on the hardware but how the app or browser accesses the video from YouTube. The default app for YouTube works lame because it is accessing the flash content on YouTube. This is why Steve Jobs is against Adobe, IMHO. To easily fix this; Open your safari browser on your iPhone/iPad and go to this link: "www.youtube.com/html5". Below you will find a text that says "Join the HTML5 Trial", click on that and that's all it takes to improve YouTube on the iPhone/iPad. This is done because HTML5 codes run faster on browsers supporting this since it eats less resource compared to other codes today. To be able to make this work. You have to reset/close safari (if ever it's open). Now save and open YouTube only in your mobile safari (iPhone/iPad). Do not use the app anymore since the setting of the default YouTube App still access the flash content (Maybe there will be a fix soon). Just access your YouTube in safari and you will see the difference 🙂

Dec 14, 2010 6:17 PM in response to PS Powers

I thought all the iOS devices specifically avoid Flash, but you're saying the iPad streams Flash content? And why does the problem only happen with my new iPad, not my iPhone?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but those are the gut questions I have. But regardless of the technicalities, if your fix works, then it works!

BTW, on the day I last posted to this thread, YouTube said the HTML5 streams were temporarily down, so I wasn't able to test this. I guess that's a rare event?

Dec 21, 2014 11:39 AM in response to galindenba

Obviously this post is old but I will post anyway... I got my iPad last year during Black Friday and it had worked fine when I watch shows online, but for the past 3 or 4 months, it had been randomly stopping in the middle of the show. I haven't tried using Hulu or Netflix app yet, but this happens when I watch shows only for free on safari. It's been getting worse now. At first it would stop and have to reload every 10-15 minutes, but now it's been doing it every minute or less. Can anyone help me on this?

Poor You Tube and Internet streaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.