Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV streaming clarification.

Can the new AppleTV stream video from your computer? I know that sounds like a ridiculous question, but here is what it states on the AppleTV page:

+"HD movie and TV show rentals play over the Internet to your widescreen TV, while music and photos stream from your computer."+

Notice that "video" has been omitted from the list of stuff you can stream from your computer. It only says "music and photos". Later, the AppleTV product page says:

+"Those movies and TV shows you bought on iTunes don’t have to stay on your computer. For maximum entertainment, stream your digital collection over the air to your Apple TV."+

This sounds promising, but maybe it is talking about AirPlay streaming FROM your computer to AppleTV (just like you will be able to do with portable iDevices.) It seems to imply that you would be "pushing" from your computer to AppleTV, not "pulling" from it. I wonder if you will still be able to browse your iTunes libraries and initiate playback from AppleTV interface, like you can on current AppleTV. It would be a drag to have to run back to your computer every time you wanted to play something from it.

So, anyone know the answer to this seemingly obvious question? I have been unable to uncover any facts from Apple site. No manual has been posted yet.

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 9:28 PM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2010 1:34 AM in response to fakeExpert

I would like to now, if i can recieve a multicast-stream (rtp/mms - livestream) from vlc or other sources (like t-home-entertainment) with the new apple tv.

Is it possible to put a playlist to the new apple - tv wich contains the rtp-sources ?

I will found it great, if I could view my local axis webcam with the device.

My DSL-Provider T-Home give me the oppourtity to recieve some german tv-channels ... it would be great to view them with the new device:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,Das Erste
rtp://@239.35.129.11:10000
#EXTINF:0,Das Erste HD
rtp://@239.35.10.1:10000
#EXTINF:0,ZDF
rtp://@239.35.86.11:10000

Thanks for your answer
Tim

Sep 16, 2010 9:55 AM in response to moritz.koeln

moritz.koeln wrote:
I would like to now, if i can recieve a multicast-stream (rtp/mms - livestream) from vlc or other sources (like t-home-entertainment) with the new apple tv.

Not directly with an Apple TV, no. The Apple TV cannot directly access RTP streams. It might be possible from an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad running the upcoming IOS 4.2 with the new AirPlay stream feature if there's an app that will play the streams you want to view and app is supported by AirPlay, but iOS 4.2 won't be out until November, so we'll have to wait and see what might be possible at that time.

Regards.

Message was edited by: Dave Sawyer

New Apple TV streaming clarification.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.