Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Energy Saver Sleep Not Working At All

Just noticed last night that the energy saver sleep option does not work at all on a brand new (3 day old) 27" iMac 2.8GHz Quad-Core.

I've reinstalled SL (not a complete format and reinstall, just by installing over this current version) and updated again, this still hasn't fixed it. The error in the console is:

Sep 16 11:01:34 Andys-iMac [0x0-0x16016].com.apple.systempreferences[3183]: Couldn't find any matches.

This only appears when changing the 'Sleep' timeout, the display timeout and other settings work perfectly fine. If I open the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist, the sleep timeout integer never changes unless I manually edit it. I've also tried deleting that plist, along with com.apple.systemconfiguration.plist.

This does seem to be a reasonably common problem across the Internet, and a very old one at that. I was wondering if anyone has found a solution other than formatting and starting my whole iMac again. I've spent a long time the past few days transferring from my old Macs, deactivating and reactivating/installing expensive, large softwares, etc., etc. so am trying to avoid formatting the drive at all costs.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Mac OS X (10.6.4),  iMac |  iPhone 4 |  MBP L'09 2.8GHz |  Win 7

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 3:08 AM

12 replies

Sep 16, 2010 4:27 AM in response to dieseL.

I hate to double post, but I can't edit (...) so here's a little update:

Within the com.apple.PowerManagement.plist file, the following part is not being READ from or WRITTEN to. If I manually edit the integer value, it has no effect in Sys. Prefs.. Likewise, if I edit the time in Sys. Prefs. I get the error I've posted above in the Console window and the value does not change.

<key>Disk Sleep Timer</key>
<integer>10</integer>

All other values in that plist are updated via Sys. Prefs..

Edit: Just tried changing the setting on my old iMac (L' 2006 - White) - the setting does not change either, exactly the same error & results. Is this just a SL bug which no-one notices?!

Message was edited by: dieseL.

Sep 26, 2010 9:44 AM in response to dieseL.

I ran into a similar problem recently... Energy Saver worked fine for a long time, then poof, it stopped. Manually selecting Sleep (through the Apple menu or a hot-corner) worked great, but neither the display nor the computer would ever sleep on their own. Repaired permissions, repaired the disk, booted into Safe Mode, trashed the Energy Saver prefs file... nothing worked. I even installed PleaseSleep and THAT didn't work either.

After several hours of staring at log files and the activity monitor trying to find some sort of misbehaving process (and fixing a number of other minor issues along the way) I noticed that somewhere along the line the file at /System/Library/SystemConfiguration/PowerManagement.bundle had been renamed to PowerManagement.disabledbundle, effectively turning it off. I renamed the file to PowerManagement.bundle (via the Terminal, logged in as root) rebooted and Tah-Dah! All is now well. (I believe the problem was caused when I tried to install some Eaton UPS power management software... the software was terrible and I took it out, but didn't realized it had modified a system file in the process. Bad software! Bad!)

So, dieseL give that a try. Hope this helps... it was very frustrating!

Sep 26, 2010 3:12 PM in response to Trimbach

Just checked the PowerManagement.bundle and it seems normal.

@WZZZ: Not attacking you, but Apple, I don't want to have to download third party software to do the most basic thing on an overpriced computer. It's almost a fundamental part of any computer - standby/sleep timers. Two of my three Macs suffer this identical issue, along with countless other people. It appears to have been an issue since 10.5 - not promising.

Thanks for the responses; I'm not trying to be ignorant towards any of you - I'm just a bit irritated by this seemingly trivial but unfixable problem.

Dec 17, 2010 4:27 PM in response to dieseL.

Add me to the list of those with this problem.

One thing I've found that, in my case, it's due to a conflict with an application. If I restart the computer and log in to my account, the Screen Saver kicks in after the time period of inactivity that I specified and a while later, the screen shuts down, again as specified.

However, after opening my usual applications, neither saver works happens automatically, but putting the cursor in the corner or selecting Sleep from the Apple menu both work properly.

I know that I could restart and test after opening each application but that's pretty time consuming for something that should be easier to troubleshoot.

Energy Saver Sleep Not Working At All

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.