Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To: Dual-linking HDMI monitors

I admit this is probably a no-brainer, but I'm new to Macs and would like to avoid confusing myself, if at all possible.

I recently purchased a new Mac Pro quad-core with an updated Radeon HD 5870 graphics card. I opted to buy the monitor secondhand. Aafter considering the options, I decided I want to go with two 22" HDMI displays.

It seems obvious that I'll need to pick up a couple Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapters (along with HDMI cords), but I've never had to set up a dual monitor rig before and am unsure how to proceed. I see that there are two Mini Displayports on the back of the Mac Pro. Is it as simple as hooking each monitor to a separate Moshi Mini via HDMI cable and then attaching each Moshi Mini to a separate Mini Displayport (then completing the dual display setup through the software settings)? Or do I need to somehow daisy-chain the monitors into a single Mini Displayport (if so, how)?

Thanks for the help!

Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 7:04 AM

7 replies

Sep 16, 2010 8:05 AM in response to wester37

You should be fine with 2 x Moshi or even using DVI2HDMI for second (cheaper than $70 you were looking at). Be careful in choosing your 22" displays.

Mac Pro (Early 2009), Mac Pro (Mid 2010):
Supported display configurations

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4279

Based on the chart on that page, it actually sounds like use Moshi for one, and pick up DVI 2 HDMI for the 2nd.

Moshi is new to me:

*Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support*
http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1824ZM/A

Overview Moshi's Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter is a compact and stylish adapter that can seamlessly connect DisplayPort-based MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, Mac mini or *Mac Pro* to any HDMI display.

Moshi’s adapter supports both Video AND *audio output to your HDMI display.

Features Fully supports audio output from mini DP to HDMI (for select systems*)
Aluminum casing minimizes EM interference

+The Mini DP to HDMI adapter supports both video and audio for many popular Mac systems.+

Apple Recommends for...
Anyone with a Mini DisplayPort-equipped MacBook or iMac who wants to output video onto their HDMI display.

My thoughts:
With Apple, never assume! There are enough threads already about using 2 display hookup. It 'should' be easy, done all the time, but being forced into MDP and lack of HDMI that AMD does have on their PC reference design.

With 22" (I picked one up on the cheap) I was disappointed and took some work to get the display monitor and because OS X doesn't have resolution display independence. Maybe it was the Viewsonic (I have some LG HDTV) or should have gone with a more 'standard' monitor (Dell, HP, Acer, even Apple). I have been waiting for Apple's 27" LED to come out this month.

For the "new to Macs" I recommend David Pogue's book:
Mac OS X: The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition (930 pgs, $23)

Sep 17, 2010 2:37 AM in response to wester37

Maybe a cheaper option here:
http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Mini-Display-Port-to-HDMI-Adapter.htm l

They also sell other cables so you might find the HDMI cords cheaper here too. The quality of the cables are great, I purchased Mini Displayport cables from here and they are much better than the Apple ones in my opinion.
Hope this is useful

Denis 🙂

Sep 17, 2010 7:12 AM in response to wester37

Actually, I'm still a LITTLE unclear about the setup (Mac n00b, apologies).

I'm OK with the monitors themselves, and you can pick up the Moshi's for dirt cheap through Amazon. But I'm still having some trouble understanding HOW I need to hook up the monitors in order to achieve a seamless dual-screen display.

What I'm getting from this page - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4279 - is that a Dual-Link is needed to run two monitors through a single Mini DisplayPort. The second MDP only comes into play when a third monitor is attached.

My question is, whether or not I attach the monitors via DVI or HDMI (I know I can get adapters for both), do I NEED to route them through a Dual-Link DVI or can I attach one monitor to each Mini DisplayPort and expect to be able to get the dual-screen display?

Thanks for clarifying.

Sep 20, 2010 3:10 AM in response to wester37

I would think Mini-Displayport to HDMI adaptor would be the way to go (providing your monitors. TVs have HDMI connectors), since DVI by comparison is older technology. Going the HDMI rout the audio is incorporated into one cable which is also a benefit. You can go either rout depending on what you prefer, but I would read the comments on the Apple Dual DVI before purchase though as it would suggest that this cable is not that good. Hope this helps 🙂

Message was edited by: Denisimo

How To: Dual-linking HDMI monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.