Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I'm reading email, am I using data from my data plan?

This is the first phone I've had where I go on the Internet. Am I using up data when I read my email? Thanks!

4G, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 12:18 PM

The phone uses data to download the e-mail. It's not using any when you're reading it. Depending on your settings and how much e-mail you receive is going to influence the amount of data used. Then again most e-mail doesn't use a large amount of data in the first place.
7 replies

Sep 16, 2010 12:36 PM in response to cathielolo

Depending on your Preview setting for mail - the number of preview lines shown for a received message dictates how much is downloaded initially with each new message, but another preview line for text does not amount to much data. When you open a received message, the remainder of the message is downloaded. Depending on the size of an included attachment, the attachment may or may not be downloaded when opening the message. If an included attachment is not downloaded when opening the message, you must select the attachment to download the attachment from the server.

Sep 16, 2010 6:15 PM in response to cathielolo

I don't know what your data plan limit is, but having "preview 5 lines" for received messages alone without opening any received messages and without knowing how many messages you receive on a monthly basis should not cause you to exceed your data plan limit especially if you don't access any other app that requires internet access when not connected to the internet via an available wi-fi whatever your data plan limit happens to be.

When I'm reading email, am I using data from my data plan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.