Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone 4 Battery Issues....

Hi Guys,

I just got a new iPhone 4 about a week ago and think I may have a bad battery. I used to have a 3G and I think the battery is worse on my 4 than my almost 2 year old 3G. I used the phone today for listening to music (through the iPod app) for about 2 hours, checked the weather once for about a minute, and then I made one 5 minute call, read 3 texts, and sent 1 text and it is at 80%. 2 hours, 16 minutes of usage and 15 hours, 23 minutes of standby.

Am I crazy??? Shouldn't I be getting way more battery life? My 3G would only be at 95-90% after this type of usage. I tried doing a full discharge and recharge of the battery and it doesn't seem to make any different. I leave wifi on, fetch email every hour, and leave location services on too (its actually the exact configuration from my 3G).

Thanks for any help you can provide.

iPhone 4, iOS 4, 4.1

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 4:07 PM

30 replies

Sep 16, 2010 4:37 PM in response to Michael Whelihan1

honestly to get the 40 hours, would be just purely listening to music straight without having to do anything else. If you text, play games, making calls, sure it would short it down a bit or so.

2400 min. of music play time, so you should expect to lose 1% every 24 min. but of course calling someone would cost you 1% at 4.2 min. of a call. etc etc etc.

Sep 16, 2010 5:58 PM in response to Michael Whelihan1

Mine:

2 hour usage
6 hour standby

Most of the usage was an hour and half Edge speaker phone call.

I have 86% battery left.

So I am sure this doesn't make you feel better but at least you know we will all be looking for the next model of iPhone before our two year contract is up.

But it is my understanding that the iP4 battery is pretty easy to change out on your own. Some like remove the two screws on the bottom and slide the rear glass off. I may be wrong on this but now you have my curiosity up so when I have a few minutes I will try to search it up.

*OK - check this out. The battery replacement looks like a piece of cake:*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAy3xgdci4s

Message was edited by: HolmanGT

Now I wish I had not seen inside the phone. It looks like I bought a battery not a phone. There is nothing in there except the battery. LOL

Message was edited by: HolmanGT

Sep 17, 2010 12:06 AM in response to Michael Whelihan1

If you're running iOS 4.1 on it, then you're not crazy. There is a bug in the upgrade for many phones, not all.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2583845&tstart=30

And for the record, I'm still running on the charge the phone had out of the box when they replaced it for me. That was 10 hours ago and I'm at 89%. Yes, ten hours of configuring all of my apps again, and I'm at 89%.
I'm also at iOS 4.0.2 and will stay there until the bug is fixed.

Message was edited by: Weylin McConnell

Sep 17, 2010 5:43 AM in response to HolmanGT

HolmanGT wrote:

But it is my understanding that the iP4 battery is pretty easy to change out on your own. Some like remove the two screws on the bottom and slide the rear glass off. I may be wrong on this but now you have my curiosity up so when I have a few minutes I will try to search it up.

*OK - check this out. The battery replacement looks like a piece of cake:*

Indeed it is pretty easy to change, and you are correct, that you have to remove 2 screws on the bottom and slide the back glass off. However, i would not recommend a DIY, as it could void warranty, plus the batteries for the iphone 4 are not usually sold by a third party, i.e ifixit.com if they had batteries in stock (which they don't) most likely they will sell it used. The safest place to get the battery replaced is by far at the Apple store, they don't sell them on the shelf, but if your battery happens to be bad, you could just ask for the battery replacement (if they have one in stock), and they will just replace the battery and you are set to go.

New iPhone 4 Battery Issues....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.