Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange message when I open Safari

Everytime I open safari I get this message:

To view this page, you must log in to this area on mail.google.com:443:

I then put in my Gmail information but it does not accept it. I can't get it to do anything. It keeps telling me that my log-in information is incorrect. Any ideas?

MacBook (BlackBook), Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2010 4:43 PM

HI,

Try deleting cookies. From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.
Click "Show Cookies" Delete all Google related cookies.

Relaunch Safari.

If that didn't help open Keychain Access (Applications/Utilities) Select Passwords on the left.
Delete your Gmail keychain.

Relaunch Safari and try logging into your Gmail account. If that didn't help, in Keychain Access delete the "Safari Forms Autofill" keychain.

Relaunch Safari and try again.

Carolyn 🙂
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2010 4:43 PM in response to UKFan643

HI,

Try deleting cookies. From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab.
Click "Show Cookies" Delete all Google related cookies.

Relaunch Safari.

If that didn't help open Keychain Access (Applications/Utilities) Select Passwords on the left.
Delete your Gmail keychain.

Relaunch Safari and try logging into your Gmail account. If that didn't help, in Keychain Access delete the "Safari Forms Autofill" keychain.

Relaunch Safari and try again.

Carolyn 🙂

Sep 15, 2011 10:03 AM in response to UKFan643

Had the same problem and tried ll the above but sadly no luck. 😟

However, this additinoal step worked: If you have a safari extension called "Gmail Counter" (an envelope telling you how many unread messages are in your inbox) installed via the "extensions" tab in safari "preferences" - uninstall it. Messages stopped. 🙂

Please note that this is an optional add on to your safari and can be reinstalled

I will reinstall it now - hopefully all will be ok now.

Strange message when I open Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.