Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4, Flip leather case and the 'Compass' app..just some info

Hello Members, and anyone new to the iPhone 4 with a 'Flip' type case that has a magnetic clasp.

I had just got my new Iphone 4, and after fully updating it to iOS 4.1, I'd successfully managed to fix the screen protector that came with the all 'leather' flip case, and proceeded to slide the Iphone into it's new luxury coat closing it securely.

Leaving it while, and then coming back to my Iphone, I started to explore the device and went straight for the 'compass' app, just to see it working....

I notice it wasn't operating correctly, the app would either be really difficult to calibrate, and when it did, the pointer would not be stable and jerked around a lot.

Anyway...I found the 'flip' case to have been a bad choice purely because of a design flaw, see the phone kept wanting to slide out as I would use it, so off I went to buy another one.

I settled for one which was made of plastic, it was a black 'enclosure' type and even included the screen protector built into it, so no having to mess about with sticky thin films either..great, just snap the two half's together...job done!

Again, back at home and in the same location, I again started to explore the iPhone going from browser to app, and again fell back onto the 'compass' application, only this time it worked flawlessly, no having to 'calibrate' and re-calibrate, no jerking from the pointer, it worked smoothly and faultlessly, and then it had occurred to me as to why this might be.....?

The Iphone's directional tech is influenced by magnetic fields, regardless of whether it's 'geographic' north or 'magnetic' north, and was being influenced by the magnet that was contained in the clasp of the leather 'flip' case, I new this could only be the possible reasoning, as I'd been trying to get the 'app' to work all the time even when I'd crossed my local park while still in the 'flip' case on my way to the store, with always the same bad results, it was only when the Iphone was in it's new case did the compass app work correctly.

So, just a consideration to any new users of the iPhone 4, that's using a case that's got any kind of magnet, and that's having the same issues that I suffered, remember to 'calibrate' and try the 'compass' application out of these type's of case's before thinking there's a software problem, or fault with your Iphone4.

Kind regards
Livio

Ipad, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 17, 2010 7:24 AM

There are no replies.

iPhone 4, Flip leather case and the 'Compass' app..just some info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.