Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

DVSP 16x9 Display on Flat Screen

1461 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2010 12:47 PM by Marco_Polo RSS
Marco_Polo Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Sep 17, 2010 1:20 PM
I’ve read a few posts on this theme, but I want to confirm that I have explored all possible options.

Here’s the deal: I shoot HDV (16x9) > FCP>Compressor >MPG-2> DVDSP. On a SDTV, the DVD puts out a picture that is letterboxed and the quality is fine, no problems. However, when I play the same disk on a blu-ray player with a flat screen (wide), the system automatically gets rid of the letter-boxing and shows my footage in full-screen (wide). At this point, there is no problem with aspect ratio. But, the problem is that by getting rid of the letter-boxing it blows up the original 16x9 video and I start to see mosaic-like block pixels.

I’m aware of previous threads pointing to automatic player behavior.

So, two questions:

1) On a wide flat screen, I would rather have a smaller video frame, even if it is letter-boxed AND pillar boxed, so as to hang on to a better resolution/pixel quality. Any way I can do that?

2) For wide flat screen viewing ONLY, is there a way for me to squeeze the original 16x9 in DVDSP (or Compressor) in such a way that the player will un-squeeze it, hence not blowing up the 16x9 image?

Thanks,

mp
  • David Harbsmeier Level 7 Level 7 (29,580 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 17, 2010 11:16 PM (in response to Marco_Polo)
    1) The display settings of the TV and the player (DVD or Blu-ray) have as much or more to do with how the program will be displayed than does the DVD authoring.

2) Huh?

-DH
    Standards are wonderful ... and there are so many to choose from!, Mac OS X (10.6.2), 8 Core MacPro, 12gb RAM, FCS 3

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.