Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't erase or burn CD-RW

I have burned Memorex CD-RW discs in my Imac Intel Core 2 Duo 24" machine in the past but can no longer do so. When I go to erase CD-RW disks I have successfully used before in this machine, they no longer can be erased. When I try to burn to a blank CD-RW disk that have been used before in this machine, I get an error whether I try to burn from the finder or from iTunes 10. I can read these CD-RW disks, and I can erase and burn DVD-RW disks that I have used before.

Why would I no longer be able to burn to CD-RW disks?

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 24", Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 11:50 AM

3 replies

Sep 19, 2010 9:53 AM in response to Király

I have tried to erase the CD-RW in Disk Utility. The application appears to go through the process using Erase Data on Disk: Quickly or Completely. The disk disappears from the list of disk on the side bar and I get the message, "Preparing to erase optical media" in the progress bar for a while. Then the progress bar disappears, and the disk reappears on the side bar in my list of disks.

Sep 19, 2010 10:21 AM in response to Király

I failed to mention that if I try to burn the same brand, previously used and erased disk, using iTunes, I get the error message:

"The attempt to burn a disc failed. The disc can't be burned; it might be incompatible with this disc drive. Please try a different brand of disc or try burning at a slower speed."

Attempts at slower speeds (4 x, 1 x) also failed.

Can't erase or burn CD-RW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.