Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change file kind from 'package' to 'folder'?

When I try to open my Pictures folder it asks what application I want to open it. When I clicked on Get Info I noticed that the file kind has changed from Folder to Package. Anyone know how I can change it back to a folder? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 3:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 5:42 AM

[Give this a try|http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/how-to-restore-a-folder-that-has-tu rned-into-a-package-in-os-x>
You can also use the command line. Check the folder for the bundle bit with
getfileinfo -aB Pictures/
If it returns 1, the bundle bit is set. You can clear it with
setfile -a b Pictures/
You then have to relaunch the Finder--hold down opt and right click on Finder in Dock. Choose Relaunch.
Did you do anything that would have caused that? Like telling iPhoto to use your Pictures folder as a Library. I've seen this question a few times and am trying to figure out why it is happening. Since it was the Pictures folder, I thought iPhoto could have had a hand in it.
20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2010 5:42 AM in response to Charlie1978

[Give this a try|http://www.switchingtomac.com/tutorials/how-to-restore-a-folder-that-has-tu rned-into-a-package-in-os-x>
You can also use the command line. Check the folder for the bundle bit with
getfileinfo -aB Pictures/
If it returns 1, the bundle bit is set. You can clear it with
setfile -a b Pictures/
You then have to relaunch the Finder--hold down opt and right click on Finder in Dock. Choose Relaunch.
Did you do anything that would have caused that? Like telling iPhoto to use your Pictures folder as a Library. I've seen this question a few times and am trying to figure out why it is happening. Since it was the Pictures folder, I thought iPhoto could have had a hand in it.

Sep 19, 2010 10:53 AM in response to jsd2

That's correct. If one doesn't want to install XCode, you can get the two commands here:

http://homepage.mac.com/francines/.Public/setgetsno.zip

They'll come down as a zip file, double click to extract the two commands into a folder. If the folder is in you Downloads folder, you launch Terminal, then drag the command into the Terminal. Then type the "-a" for attribute, a space, and drag your Pictures folder into the Terminal and drop it, then press return. You'll see something like this:

NoobiX:~ francine$ /Users/francine/Downloads/setget/GetFileInfo -a /Users/francine/Pictures
avbstClinmedz

If the "b" is a capital letter then the bundle bit is set. You would then use the SetFile command the same way, only type "-a b" instead of just "-a" as above, and press return. So it would look something like this:

NoobiX:~ francine$ /Users/francine/Downloads/setget/SetFile -a b /Users/francine/Pictures

You'll have to close your home folder and reopen it to see the change.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Oct 27, 2010 10:58 AM in response to yellk

Glad it helped. For anyone in the future who needs to download the commands referenced: Apple has announced that effective on November 8, 2010 the contents of the old Public folder will no longer be accessible. Accordingly, I have placed a copy of the zip file in a new location.

http://homepage.mac.com/francines/Public/setgetsno.zip

Yep, I know it looks like exactly the same place, but it isn't. Notice there is now no "." in front of Public? (snark) Thanks Apple for breaking all the old links to stuff in the Public folder.(/snark)
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Oct 27, 2010 11:14 AM in response to Charlie1978

I'm not completely clear on the background for your question ... however, the structure of the iPhoto Library changed a few years ago with the release of iPhoto 8.

In previous versions of iPhoto, the iPhoto Library was a +tree of folders+ in your /username/Pictures folder. In iPhoto 8 the Library became a package still called iPhoto Library in the same location.

The two are not the same structures. If you are using iPhoto8 or later you should not change the type. The iPhoto Library in iPhoto8 and later is a package.

Oct 28, 2010 8:05 AM in response to MartinR

Yep, but what is happening to some people is that the Pictures folder itself is getting the bundle bit changed, not just the iPhoto Library. Why that happens I'm sure I don't know, but it does. I've even seen occasional cases where someone's home folder is changed so that it is treated as a package by the Finder. It sometimes happens to the Applications folder as well.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

How do I change file kind from 'package' to 'folder'?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.