Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ERROR 1721, problem with windows installer package

i have windows vista basic on a acer aspire 5535, itunes has always worked on my laptop until apple asked me if i wanted to update so i did (i believe the update was for itunes 9/9.2) after this update i am unable to install itunes and get the error 1721 message saying
There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support or package vendor.
i have tried EVERYTHING that i have found on the internet about this, i mean everything and i am ready to give up! does anyone know how to fix this? its so frustrating as i need itunes and i know it once did work on my laptop.
i've tried command prompts, registry cleaners.. the works.
please help!?

acer apire 5535, Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 10:27 AM

6 replies

Dec 14, 2010 7:19 PM in response to IDKFA13

Hi,

I like many others choose to update to itunes 10. Straight after installing the software itunes was not working. :s I was annoyed! So follow a message board followed the instructions. Uninstalled it complete, out of Program files everywhere even downloaded a really good uni-installer program to clean everythin up.

Now Quick Time 7.6 installs. iTunes 10 gets all the way to the end then you get a error message: "THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE WINDOWS INSTALLER PACKAGE. A PROGRAM REQUIRED FOR THIS INSTALL TO COMPLETE COULD NOT BE RUN CONTACT YOUR SUPPORT PERSONNEL OR PACKAGE VENDOR."

Somebody please help me my life is dull with out the constant flow of new music onto my ipod. :((

Dec 15, 2010 6:01 AM in response to cait_222

When you say you have tried everything, it doesn't help anyone trying help you because we do not know what you have tried.

This error message can be associated with Apple Software Update (ASU).

Look in your control panel where you add remove programs.
Is Apple Software Update in the list? If so, try repairing it. If that works, try installing iTunes again.
If not try uninstalling ASU - if you can't uninstall it I will need to to tell you how to fix it.

Dec 17, 2010 9:39 AM in response to polydorus

I still have this problem, have had it since October, still cant reinstall itunes. I have removed all traces of itunes, quicktime, bonjour and every other apple program i can find. I have deleted the temporary folder in AppData as suggested in other posts, and redownloaded itunes and tried installing it again and still get this error. Looking at the various forums on the internet this is a huge problem and no one has been able to sort this out. I feel very let down by Apple with the service they are providing. I really want to upgrade my old ipod shuffle but wont be doing this until i can get itunes working again

Dec 17, 2010 11:48 AM in response to Studentboy

I agree with you student boy. I feel let down and I have used a quarter of my ipod classic that is the most annoying part. A system restore has done nothing for me either.

Apple if so many people are experiencing the same type of problems after updating you need to be able to test some how. Though I understand you can not plan for absolutely every fault, it appears you still have some upset users.

ERROR 1721, problem with windows installer package

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.