Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired xbox 360 controller with Mac (steam)

I am new to steam but is there a way to have a 360 controller plug into your Mac via USB (do u need a special commuter controller or a adapter?) and use it to play games with steam? Also with steam can u plug in a 360 headset to talk or even get a Bluetooth for the computer to work with steam, any help would be great.

iMac Late 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.4), iMac, iPod Touch 2nd Generation w/ OS 3.1.3, iPod Nano 3rd Generation,

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 11:10 AM

2 replies

Sep 19, 2010 7:46 PM in response to appleaka

This guy has made a great driver package that works with both the 360 wired and wireless+receiver controllers: http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver. After install, there's a preference pane in System Preferences which you can configure and test the controllers. However, the 360 wired headset (the one that plugs into the controller) doesn't work. I dunno about the wireless 360 headset (the one that directly connects to the receiver) but I imagine it wouldn't.

As for other headsets with Steam, any microphone that the system recognizes will work. Go into Steam's settings and configure which mic you want to use with Steam. Unfortunately (this is my major annoyance with Valve's stuff on both Mac and Windows) you cannot configure voice to come through another speaker. So if your headset has a speaker, it won't be used. Voice will come out the same speakers as the game's sound. Annoying.

Wired xbox 360 controller with Mac (steam)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.