Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow file dialog

I've had a problem since going to Snow Leopard with very slow File Dialogs (Open File, Save As..., etc.) It seems to be getting worse. It often takes 30 seconds of the spinning colored ball before the dialog opens. I've repaired permission, even defragged, but no joy. Any ideas why this is happening?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Sep 19, 2010 6:19 PM

9 replies

Sep 20, 2010 4:21 AM in response to George Franco1

There are some simple troubleshooting steps you can take.

Be sure you drive is not overly full. Rule of thumb would be over 85%.

Create a new User go to System Preferences >> Accounts >> "+" (make it an admin acct) and test the apps in this new account, if they work the problem is isolated to your User and not systemwide.

If the issue is limited to your user account try starting up Safe Mode (It will take more time to startup in Safe Mode because it runs a directory check.)

If your apps functions correctly that way, go to System Preferences >> Accounts >> Login Items, and remove them. Boot normally and test. If not go to/Users/yourname/Library /Contextual Menu Items and move whatever is there to the desktop. Then do the same with /Library/ Contextual Menu Items. Lastly, try moving/Users/yourname/Library/ Fonts to your desktop and restarting.

Log out/in or restart, if that sorts it start putting items back one at a time until you find the culprit.

If the issue is systemwide then, you may be able to repair this with the The 10.6.4 Combo Update This is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before.
Remember to Verify Disk before update and repair permissions after update from /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

User uploaded file
-mj

Sep 20, 2010 4:57 AM in response to George Franco1

I would try a Safe Boot even if the problem is still present for a different user. One of the things it does is:
--------------------
Mac OS X v10.5.6 or later: A Safe Boot deletes the dynamic loader shared cache at (/var/db/dyld/).
------------------

See [this comment|http://www.shirt-pocket.com/blog/index.php/shadedgrey/comments/spinning round_andround> by the developer of SuperDuper.

Sep 29, 2010 5:53 AM in response to jsd2

I'm suffering this problem on an iMac 27", 3GHz with OSX 10.6.4. Cmd-O results in the rainbow wheel for 16-30 seconds before the dialog box opens. Same for Save As.
Machine has >500GB free disk space. Login/start objects are GrowlHelperApp, iTunesHelper and Dropbox.

I have done the following (with reboots between):
1. verified disk - no errors
2. installed the combo system update
3. repaired permissions
4. used Onyx to clear some caches
5. created new admin user, logged in as such - problem remains
6. used the terminal to "sudo update dyld_sharedcache -force"

Problem remains.

Åke

Sep 30, 2010 2:23 AM in response to Eldberg

My problem has been solved. I discovered that the external hard disk (WD "My Book") which I use for Time Machine backup, had serious problems. Disk tools could not repair it. Turned off Time Machine, re-formatted the drive. Poff! Problem gone. Alleluia.

Åke

Message was edited by: Eldberg - corrected data about computer and OS version

Sep 30, 2010 1:00 PM in response to George Franco1

I had this problem on a 2 x 3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Mac Pro with 12 GB of RAM and four internal 500 GB SATA drives. All the hardware is factory installed and after reading on another discussion about this problem indicating that it may be related to drives, I was able to fix the problem by un-mounting one of the four disks. I ran Disk Utility on the the problem disk and it found many problems. So it appears that was the problem in my case.

Slow file dialog

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.