Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless 5 Ghz Band

Hi,

I have been using the Time Capsule for some time, and I used to be able see (in the Airport Network List) and connect to both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands (not simultaneously).

Recently, I changed the channel for the 5 Ghz band and the 2.4 Ghz band manually, and now when I set it back to "Automatic" I can only see (and connect to) the 5 Ghz band. It seems as if the 2.4Ghz circuit just failed, because even on different Macbooks, I cannot see the 2.4Ghz channel at all!
Has anyone encountered such a problem before? Is there a solution?

Normally, I wouldn't be concerned because the 5 Ghz band is supposed to be faster and "less congested", however, the signal strength of the 2.4 Ghz band is better in my house (at some locations, I cannot see nor use the 5 Ghz signal, only the 2.4 Ghz signal).

THank you in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 12:02 AM

1 reply

Sep 20, 2010 12:30 AM in response to colin N

Update:

I restarted the Time Capsule without changing any settings and the 2.4 Ghz band appeared once more.
I don't understand how it went off in the first place though...

However, I still get poorer reception at some locations in my house using the 5 Ghz band (cannot even connect) than the 2.4 Ghz band. Anyone encounters this? I used to think that the 5 Ghz band provided better speed and coverage with (usually) less interference.

Thanks.

Wireless 5 Ghz Band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.