Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMac fan keeps running

Not sure what to do. Stops when machine sleeps, resumes after 5 min of use. Reset SMC. Reset PRAM. Rebooted. Not sure what else to try.

Graphics processor D temp 124 degrees F
Graphics heatsink temp 120 degrees F
Main Logic Board 115
CPU cores 1-4 89-91 degrees F

highlights above from Hardware Monitor

Intel Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 4:12 AM

15 replies

Sep 21, 2010 10:16 PM in response to nachdenki

It took a few days because the problem had stopped, but now it is back. The fan in question is the CPU fa. It normally runs at about 1000 RPM (like the Hard Drive fan and Optical Drive fan. Occasionally, however, it runs at 4000 RPM and makes a lot of noise. Further, it is hard to get it to slow down (sleep mode seems to finally do the trick). The fan gets initiated at 4000 RPM by Flash files, among other things. GPU Diode and GPU heatsink are at 45 degrees C, everything else seems to be at about 35 degrees or less.

Any ideas what I can do about loud fan?

Sep 22, 2010 11:24 PM in response to Perry Gershon

At least I know it's not just me. I have exactly the same problem and it's driving me nuts. I've tried resetting. I'm sick of taking the cord out. all is well and then for no reason the stupid cpu fan goes nuts. I'm barely using any of the computers ability and even it was under load surely after a few mins it would shut off but it never does...

< Edited by Host >

Sep 23, 2010 4:08 AM in response to Perry Gershon

Just looked now and two fans are running over 4000 RPM. CPU and Optical Drive. No idea why Optical Drive fan should be on - have not used drive in many days.

Note: Now Optical Fan went off. Noise still continues from CPU fan. I have done nothing on this iMac since rebooting 7 hours ago except surf internet with Safari

Message was edited by: Perry Gershon

Dec 16, 2010 11:56 AM in response to Perry Gershon

Thank you ! Mr.Gershon

Print out your discussion with the fan problem. Went to the apple store and show then the printout
showing the exact problem i was having and your solution. They then remedy it the exact same way
mention in your discussion.

The first time i went, before finding your discussion, they were saying that the fan noise is normal.

New iMac fan keeps running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.