Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari not able to access myspace

Hi. I'm running OSX 10.4.11 and Safari v4.1.2 on a G5. I am having all kinds of problems trying to access myspace. Sometimes I get the message saying Safari cannot connect to myspace.com and then I'll try again later and everything will be fine. And a bit later I will not be able to connect again. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this behavior. Often when I try to log in to myspace I will get a message saying that Safari cannot connect to the server (forget the name). And then the next day I can. Sometimes when I am able to log in to my myspace page some of the modules are blank and sometimes they're fine. Sometimes I'm automatically directed to another user's profile (the same user but it may not be a bonafile profile). I am not having problems w/ any other sites, only myspace. Firefox seems to be much more dependable for the most part but even it too is sometimes a little quirky but only w/ myspace. Here's something really weird that happened. You know the Apple - Mac OS X icon on the dock that normally opens to a page displaying info about the latest version of OS X? One time recently it opened to a weird combination of a myspace profile and info about Mac OS X as if Mac OS X was a person. Wish I'd taken a screen shot. Anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 4:56 PM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2010 5:08 PM in response to stopmotion

HI,

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Security tab. Click: Show Cookies.
Delete all myspace related cookies.

And from the same menu bar click; Safari / Empty Cache.

Relaunch Safari and see if that helps. If not, quit Safari.

Open Keychain Access (Applications / Utilities) Select Passwords on the left.

Delete the myspace keychain.

Relaunch Safari. Navigate to the MySpace site. Login with your user name and password. Click Yes when prompted.

As for the Dock. Open a Finder window. Select your Home folder in the Sidebar on the left. It has a small house icon. Now open the Library folder then the Preferences folder.

Move the com.apple.dock.plist file from the Preferences folder to the Trash.

Restart your Mac.

Carolyn 🙂

Sep 21, 2010 3:01 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi Carolyn: Thanks for your reply and for all the info. I had already tried emptying the cache and deleting all myspace cookies. But the problem persisted. I did not see any myspace keychain in Keychain Access to delete. I seem to have isolated the problem to when I am connected to my router. Connecting directly to my modem gives me a problem free connection. So maybe I have to reset my router or upgrade the firmware. I am checking into that.

Sep 21, 2010 3:14 PM in response to stopmotion

Keep us posted.

Also, login to another account on your Mac. See if you can login to MySpace there. If not, it's a system wide problem, not just your user account.

Here's something really weird that happened. You know the Apple - Mac OS X icon on the dock that normally opens to a page displaying info about the latest version of OS X? One time recently it opened to a weird combination of a myspace profile and info about Mac OS X as if Mac OS X was a person

You may want to check your startup disk for errors just in case. Follow the instructions here.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Scroll down to where you see: Try Disk Utility.

🙂

Sep 28, 2010 2:24 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

+Also, login to another account on your Mac. See if you can login to MySpace there. If not, it's a system wide problem, not just your user account.+

+You may want to check your startup disk for errors just in case. Follow the instructions here.+
+ http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417+

+Scroll down to where you see: Try Disk Utility.+

Thanks for the apple link. Tried a safe boot and things seem to be better. I had tried logging in w/ another user account and that seemed to be better also, but not always. Just as using a different browser seemed to work better but not always. I also reset my router which seemed to have bettered Safari's performance w/ myspace somewhat. It's an intermittent problem and just seems to pop up w/o rhyme or reason. For the most part myspace loads fine now but sometimes certain elements on the page will not display or sometimes "pages cannot be found" and I'm redirected elsewhere. And then the next day everything will be fine (or almost fine).

safari not able to access myspace

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.