Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email Signatures per Email Account

Email Signatures per Email Account, 1 Signature per 5 email accounts is semi annoying, especially when it's 1 personal and 4 different companies!

Own Built PC, iOS 4, iTunes 10

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 5:49 AM

15 replies

Sep 21, 2010 6:19 AM in response to ItsAdamUK

The primary purpose/reason for the signature with a smart phone is to let the recipient know you sent the message with a phone. Since spelling and grammar errors are more likely when composing a message with a smart phone is the reason the default signature is included - "sent from my iPhone", and the same with a Blackberry - "sent from Blackberry" or similar.

Sep 21, 2010 8:04 AM in response to ItsAdamUK

It is required by law in the UK to include a signature with what contact details if being sent from a limited company and so on? And a limited company in what respect - a limited liability company? If so, the first I've heard of this here and for what purpose? I would maybe understand if such a legitimate company does mass spam emails but I don't understand why this is required when exchanging email with a client/customer, and with a vendor and/or with fellow employees if there are any.

Regardless, this is not supported with the iPhone. You can enter the required signature info for each company as a note with the Notes app and copy/paste the signature in the message for whichever account the message is being sent by.

Sep 22, 2010 6:06 AM in response to ItsAdamUK

Baloney.

What happens if your iPhone is lost or stolen? You can't purchase a different phone instead to fulfill your contract, or you are required to purchase another iPhone?

If my iPhone under contract were lost or stolen or I decided I want a different phone instead during the contract term and I sell my iPhone to someone else, there is nothing that prevents me from using another phone under my contract as long as I fulfill my contract. AT&T isn't going to sell me another phone at a subsidized or discounted price, but there is nothing in the contract that prevents me from selling my iPhone to someone else and purchasing or using another phone under the same contract with the key being fulfilling my contract. And if my iPhone were lost or stolen, the contract does not require me to purchase another iPhone. I can use any phone to fulfill may contract.

Quit playing so many computer games.

Sep 29, 2010 10:52 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Hi, Thought I would chime in on this issue. I actually disagree on your defined purpose of a signature. Generically a signature for email allows you to have a standard set of text at the end of your email. It may be used to provide specific identification information such as additional contact info, phone #'s, email address, company, title,etc, etc. If you are trying to use the iPhone as a work tool, the ability to manage multiple email accounts EACH WITH IT's own signature is really cruical. I just converted from a Windows mobile phone. I have 3 sep email accounts, two work and one personal and while I could have completely unique signatures on my Windows Mobile phone just as in Outlook, Now iPhone email limits this to one. If Apple really wants to further penetrate the corporate market they need to fix this issue so that a user can make it seamless. It should be irrelevant as to where the email is coming from..

Best,

Malcolm

Sep 29, 2010 11:05 AM in response to malcolme

I know what the purpose of an email signature is for with an email client on your computer. I was mailing and faxing letters and inter-office memos for correspondence before email became mainstream - the large company I worked for at the time started using email well before the companies I was doing business with did when using email was just beginning.

Although the same type of signature can be used with the iPhone to include name, company name, company address, phone numbers - office, fax, cell, and email address which IMO is redundant and a waste most of the time especially when exchanging email with people you regularly exchange email with, the primary purpose for a signature with the iPhone, a Blackberry, or with any mobile device is to make known to the recipient that the email was sent by a mobile device which is likely to have spelling and grammar errors over sending an email with an email client on your computer. Those you regularly exchange email with already know your name, the company you work for, your email address, and your phone number or numbers.

Sep 29, 2010 12:50 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Alan,

Thanks for your reply but sorry I disagree that the purpose of a signature on a mobile device is any different than on any other computer... Why should it matter that I am on an iPhone, Blackberry or any other device? If you think you need to make excuses for the device you are on I would disagree as well. Finally, great if you are happy with a single signature but obviously there are a large number of users that need the ability to have unique signature for each account. I take it you are not connected to Apple?

Best,

Malcolm

Email Signatures per Email Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.