Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Car Charger for FireWire iPods?

I have a 3rd gen iPod (touch wheel/dock connector) that came with a FireWire cable to connect to the dock and an AC adapter with a FireWire socket that can be used to charge the iPod away from the computer.

I recently wanted to sync using some software that would only recognize USB ports, so I bought a Belkin Micro Auto Charger which came with a USB charge/sync cable. It turns out that sync works OK with the USB cable, but not charging.

In addition, the iPod controls become inactive (as if the hold switch were engaged) when the dock connector to USB cable is attached.

Does anyone know of a car charger that connects to a FireWire cable? Do any USB cables work to charge 3rd gen and earlier iPods?

Can Apple's USB to dock connector cable be used to charge as well as sync my old model iPod (it's not listed as "compatible" but several of the Q&A answers for that part claim that it "works" with "all" iPods)
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA591G/B?fnode=MTY1NDA0OQ&mco=MTM3NDk3MzI

Dock Connector (3rd Gen) 2003-2004, Windows XP

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 7:56 AM

1 reply

Car Charger for FireWire iPods?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.