Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Boot from Freecom 500GB Hard Drive?

I'm having trouble making a bootable clone of my internal HD on a Freecom external hard drive.
I don't know whether the problem is with my system or the external drive, but having just upgraded to 10.5.8 I thought I might as well start here.

System details are:

Computer
17" iMac
PowerPC G4
1.25Ghz
512Mb RAM
80GB Internal HD
OS-X 10.5.8 Leopard

External Hard Drive
Freecom 500GB Firewire 400 External Hard Drive
Part No: 31251
Pre-formatted HFS+ - Mac OS Extended (journaled)
Apple Partition Map
Four Partitions
1) 80GB
2) 20GB
3) 140GB
4) 160GB

I want to get a bootable clone of my internal HD onto Partition 4 of the Freecom external HD but whatever I try, my computer won't boot reliably from the Freecom.
I've tried with Carbon Copy Cloner and with Apple's own Disk Utility Restore feature. Both times the software seemed happy enough that all was well, but still my clone won't boot. I've run a permissions repair on the clone but again, Disk Utility said all was well.

I specifically bought a Mac friendly Firewire 400 drive so that I could create and keep a bootable clone.

Anyone else had any problems with these drives or any ideas of how to fix this?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

17" Flatscreen iMac PowerPC G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 10:45 AM

3 replies

Sep 21, 2010 11:04 AM in response to legolas-woodelf

Hi

Are you connecting using USB? If you are it won't work. It must be a firewire connection on a non-Intel Mac. You can boot an Intel Mac with an external drive connected via USB or Firewire.

Provided, of course, the chipset of the external drive supports it. To find out if the Freecom drive is capable of booting ask their tech support team.

Tony

Sep 21, 2010 1:29 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

No USB, all Firewire 400. I've even made sure the drive is connected straight into the Mac rather than through a hub or daisy chain.

I've managed to get it to boot with a little fiddling, but the desktop picture is corrupted and the behaviour generally flaky so something definitley isn't tight. But all the settings are correct and everything that can work on or verify the disk says it's bootable.

I have another external HD - a CrossFire Smartdisk - which I've also used for bootable backups and it works flawlessly.

I've posted my question on Freecom's manufacturer forum, but something tells me I'm going to have to press them for a reply.

Can't Boot from Freecom 500GB Hard Drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.