You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 memory issues

Hello,
I just installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on a dedicated bootcamp drive in my quad core MacPro tower. This is specifically to run large renders in a 64-bit version of 3DS Max Design.

I read that Windows 32-bit can only ever allocate 2GB of memory to any one running application -- which is why i upgraded to the 64-bit OS and the 64-bit software. This should allow the program to access the entire memory of the system, 8GB in my case.

However, the render times have actually increased for the same files! I run the Tast Manager to follow the performance, and see that there is 100% CPU usage but only 22% Physical memory usage and shows about 1.70GB used.

Can anyone help me understand this issue?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4), MacPro

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 11:21 AM

7 replies

Sep 22, 2010 2:18 PM in response to stevenarrow

Windows 7 reports cpu usage and memory differently but it is efficient where programs that can use multicore and memory handling.

Disk drive setup and configuration can help.

I wouldn't run OS X with data and media on system drive, and I don't in Windows either.

There is a misconception that 100% is efficient, it isn't.
100% on Windows means there is nothing left for background or system too.

Nov 30, 2010 7:47 AM in response to stevenarrow

Hi. Whether I'm on the right subject here or not, I'm not 100% sure, but here goes. I have had WINDOWS 7 installed on my Macbook Pro, (thought it was a good idea at the time). I am running 10.6.4 version on the Mac. I had 100GB allocated to the Mac, and 400GB to WINDOWS. Having now got the gist of operating the Mac, I have now used up all of the allocated 100G of space. Could someone out there PLEASE, (as I'm going mad over this), tell me how to gain more memory back from the 400GB which was put aside for the WINDOWS 7. In anticipation, THANKS & more thanks.....

Nov 30, 2010 8:04 AM in response to Shed-Head

A. Start your own thread is always best.

http://discussions.apple.com/post!default.jspa?forumID=1245

B. Disk space, not memory.

C. CampTune $19 from Paragon-Software

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

D. Backup before you begin.

If you don't mind redoing Windows, you could just remove the partition with Boot Camp and start over with say 100GB for Windows.

I can see if you were coming from a PC and wanted to primarily use Windows and had a lot of data to move over.

There are multiple ways to backup or clone both systems.

Dec 1, 2010 3:38 AM in response to stevenarrow

It sounds like you need to optimize your renders.

Having more memory or more cores does not always help due to a number factors one of them being more overhead.

Most people make the mistake in thinking a 32 bit OS can only allocate 2 gigs or so RAM to a program, this is not true.

32 bit OS has only a 4 gig of total addressable space for everything, what does this mean?

Let’s say you have a graphics card with 1 gig of RAM and PCI / other peripherals with another 512KB of RAM, you have just lost 1.5GB of RAM you can use as physical RAM for programs.

So now you only have 2.5GB of RAM left to use.

When rendering in Max, Max use what it needs and no more. So putting more RAM in, will not help if the scene does not need it. The memory allocation is done by the OS not Max, so if the OS is efficient at allocating memory Max will work better.

Depending on the render engine and tasks being performed, the program may use more cores or not. If the render engine and particular task is written for multi threads then it will use more cores / CPU.
Different tasks use threads differently so if you have selected a task better suited multi threads it will use more cores.

There was a test done with Photoshop CS5 that show up to 12GB and 6 cores it gets faster but after 6 cores and more RAM Photoshop CS5 has no benefit or even gets worse. I think Adobe is working to fix this issue.

I think if you look in the user manual for Max or Google it you can find help in optimizing Max for renders.

Windows 7 memory issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.