Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp x64 is not supported

I just bought a brand new copy of Windows 7 64-bit. I installed it fine, but when I insert the OS X CD for drivers, I get a message that says "Bootcamp x64 is not supported" I went into the Disc and tried to run "Bootcamp64", but it tells me I need to run it through "setup.exe". Since I'm not familiar with Windows, I'm a bit lost here. Does anyone know what to do?

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 12:42 PM

5 replies

Sep 23, 2010 4:42 PM in response to Carlin Green

I am certainly no techie but I read in the Apple Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide ( http://manuals.info.apple.com/enUS/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup10.6.pdf) that you need 10.6 or later. To use 64-bit version of Windows 7 you need the following (copied/pasted from the Apple Boot Camp Installation and Setup Guide):

You can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Windows 7 with any of these
Mac computers:
A Mac Pro or MacBook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later
An iMac or MacBook introduced in late 2009 or later

Hope this helps.

Sep 24, 2010 10:45 AM in response to emmagoldman

I installed W7 (64 bit) on my MacBook late 2008 and get the same thing: x64 not supported on this model. W7 runs just fine, however, but I have to manually restart w/option key held down each time. Not that big a deal but it is annoying.

Anyone know why only MacBooks late 2009 (and later) are the only ones supported?

Sep 25, 2010 4:41 AM in response to Carlin Green

All you have to do is
turn off user account control
reboot
run bootcamp driver setup again.

if that doesnt work, browse the cd and look for a folder named apple and inside there you will find a folder named x64 go into that and run bootcamp setup from there, this will be the x64 version.

This is just apple trying to stop from using x64 versions on some of there computers.

Nov 9, 2010 3:39 AM in response to Carlin Green

(you'll be operating in an "unsupported" configuration)

In the Boot Camp directory on the Snow Leopard disc, there's a "Drivers" and "Apple" subdirectory. Go in there and find the "BootCamp64" file. Right click on it, and choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility" option. It'll trundle for a bit, and then give you the option to "skip" a product version check - do that, and it'll install.

The Boot Camp 3.1 update will install without needing to go through this.

Nov 15, 2010 6:45 AM in response to weileongtan

weileongtan wrote:
(you'll be operating in an "unsupported" configuration)

In the Boot Camp directory on the Snow Leopard disc, there's a "Drivers" and "Apple" subdirectory. Go in there and find the "BootCamp64" file. Right click on it, and choose "Troubleshoot Compatibility" option. It'll trundle for a bit, and then give you the option to "skip" a product version check - do that, and it'll install.

The Boot Camp 3.1 update will install without needing to go through this.

Warning - v3.1 will install, but it won't be recognised by Apple Software Update - it'll prompt you to install it again and again (the perils of operating in an unsupported config). Disabling it in ASU/setting it to ignore solves this problem but no idea what happens if/when v3.2 comes around.

Some people have had success using the "orca database editor" (part of the Windows Installer SDK) to manually edit the BootCamp64 file to drop the version check on launch (presumably the ASU problem is because things aren't marked as properly completed in "troubleshoot compatibility" mode), but this goes beyond the cost-vs-benefit threshold for me.

Bootcamp x64 is not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.