Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 and wifi 802.11n

I've got Time Capsule wi-fi router. Apple TV and MacBook connect to it through 802.11n protocol while iphone 4 connects to it through 802.11 b/g only. How to adjust iphone settings (or Time Capsule) for connection through 802.11n?

MacBook

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 6:27 AM

4 replies

Sep 23, 2010 6:38 AM in response to A.Nikon

Copied from this link.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)

You can set your Time Capsule to work simultaneously on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands to have an "n" connection between your Apple TV and your MacBook, and having an "n" connection with your iPhone. Having an "n" connection applies to data transfer between connected computers and/or devices.

Sep 23, 2010 10:29 AM in response to Allan Sampson

has anyone ever actually checked their time capsules and airport extremes to see what speed thier ipones are actually connecting at? it seems its either 39 mbps to 72 mbps but never faster. this has been brought up before but no answer from apple. its my guess that the single spatial stream is the fault??

for 2.4 ghz n i would expect 130 mbps max

i think this is why we cannot sync over wifi with itunes, because everyone would complain about being limited to 39mbps

its my guess that 2 x spatial streams is 130 @ 2.4 or 300 mbps @ 5 ghz
3 x spatial streams is ???? @ 2.4 or 450 mbps @ 5 ghz

so because the iphone is only 1, then your 2.4 is cut in half
and forcing your 2.4 to be 802.11g only might actually result in faster throughput to your iphone 4???

Sep 24, 2010 12:41 AM in response to Allan Sampson

I have these settings for my time capsule.

But when I look active connection I see that iphone connects on 802.11 b\g while macbook and apple tv connects on 802.11n. Still I know that time capsule has 2 independent antennas for wi-fi. Of course, having 2 devices connected on 802.11n, the speed divides proportionally but iphone does not connect on this protocol at all since 802.11n in time capsule works on 5ghz only.

Either I misunderstood something?
Thanks.

Sep 24, 2010 4:47 AM in response to A.Nikon

You can set your Time Capsule to work simultaneously on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands with your "n" network and have an "n" network only, or have your "n" network being backwards compatible with "b/g" devices also.

Sounds like you have your "n" network set to be backwards compatible with "b/g" devices also which can be changed to being an "n" network only. If set to be an "n" network only, your iPhone nor any other device would be able to connect via "b/g".

iPhone 4 and wifi 802.11n

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.